This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Soot Loading Distribution as a Key Factor for a Reliable DPF System: An Innovative Development Methodology
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published July 09, 2002 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Event: International Body Engineering Conference & Exhibition and Automotive & Transportation Technology Congress
The most critical aspect of the DPF technology is the maximum soot collection limit which is related to the local soot concentration and the thermal stress during regeneration. In order to keep this parameter under control the only method used so far was to manage (periodical operation, back-pressure measurement) the overall soot loading, neglecting the other important factor: soot distribution. Many experiences show that, with the same overall soot amount, a strongly non-homogeneous soot collection can cause much higher temperature peaks than an homogeneous one. The effects on the durability of the substrate are evident. Aim of this work is to investigate the possibility of characterizing the soot distribution in order to improve the durability performances of the DPF System. Indirect measurement methods and a computational tool, which we developed, are investigated, for different loading conditions.
CitationRanalli, M., Hossfeld, C., Kaiser, R., Schmidt, S. et al., "Soot Loading Distribution as a Key Factor for a Reliable DPF System: An Innovative Development Methodology," SAE Technical Paper 2002-01-2158, 2002, https://doi.org/10.4271/2002-01-2158.
- Ohno K. Shimato K. Taoka N. Santae H. Ninomiya T. Komori T. Salvat O. Characterization of SiC DPF for Passenger Car SAE Paper 2000-01-0185
- Ranalli M. Zelenka P. Schmidt S. Elfinger G. An Active Regeneration Aid as a Key Element for Safe Particulate Trap Use SAE_NA Paper 2001-01-062
- Ferziger J.H. Peric M. Computational Methods for Fluid Dynamics Springer-Verlag 1997
- FIRE v70b Advanced Training Course User-Functions
- Ruck B. Laser-Doppler-Anmometrie AT-Fachverlag Stuttgart 1987
- Kugland P. Krieger E. Santiago E. Cleaner Diesels - Full Flow Soot Filter regeneration Systems SAE paper 910133