This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Optimization of Coupled Manufacturing Systems by a Model-Based and Integrative Approach
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published July 09, 2002 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Event: International Body Engineering Conference & Exhibition and Automotive & Transportation Technology Congress
Effective optimization of coupled manufacturing systems requires a quantitative, systemic and practical determination of the manufacturing system constraint. For this purpose, a model-based and integrative approach is suggested. By the means of a manufacturing system model, productivity potentials for coupled industrial manufacturing systems in terms of capacity are quantified. In providing task-specific optimization methods within a platform approach the integrative feature is defined. The described model-based and integrative implementation procedure is applied for the practical determination of the overall manufacturing system constraint. Here, currently machine-specific, overall equipment effectiveness (OEE) determination does not sufficiently support the root-cause determination of input- and output-losses (coupling losses). However, these coupling losses have a major impact upon local machine capacity and are ‘constraining’ overall system capacity. The industrial example for an automotive body plant shows first manufacturing engineering-specific results for a model-based and integrative determination of the overall constraint.
CitationTautrim, J., Ostrosi, E., and Ferney, M., "Optimization of Coupled Manufacturing Systems by a Model-Based and Integrative Approach," SAE Technical Paper 2002-01-2125, 2002, https://doi.org/10.4271/2002-01-2125.
- Blanchard, B.S. Logistics Engineering and Management, Prentice Hall, 1998
- Cochran, D. S. et al. Evaluation of Plant Design of Two Automotive Suppliers Using the Manufacturing System Design Decomposition, Journal of Manufacturing Systems, 2000
- Connell, J. et al. Object-oriented Rapid Prototyping, Prentice Hall, 1995
- Imai, I. Kaizen, Productivity Press, 1992
- Jordan, J.A. et al. Next Generation Manufacturing, Methods and Techniques, John Wiley & Sons, 2000
- Mertins, K. Knowledge Management Best Practices in Europe, Springer, 2001
- Monden, Y. Toyota Production System: An integrated approach to Just in Time, Engineering and Management Press, 1998
- Scheer, A.W. Architecture of Integrated Information Systems, Springer, 1995
- Williams, T.J. et al. The Life Cycle of an Enterprise, Purdue University, 1997