This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
A Study on the Performance of the New Bumper System with Gas Tube
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published July 09, 2002 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Event: International Body Engineering Conference & Exhibition and Automotive & Transportation Technology Congress
The car crash at low speed occurs most frequently and results in the highest rate of repairing cost. Especially, statistics shows that for full repair items of damaged vehicles there are the front bumper repair rate and rear bumper repair rate in 2000 year. Thus, many auto-parts manufacturers are paying keen attention to the safety of the passengers and currently developing the various types of bumper systems by applying the gas tube to the conventional bumper system (CBS) in order to improve the damageability in a low speed crash.
On this study, in order to check the capability, damageability and repair ability of gas tube bumper system (GBS), RCAR (Research Council for Automobile Repairs) 15km/h 40% offset frontal crash test was adopted in low speed.
As a result of study, GBS might need one more process production and assembling the gas tube. The total crash time and acceleration improved. 3 rooms 1 row GBS can improve the damageability and repair ability. Therefore, the GBS definitely can improve the damageability and repair ability of the vehicles and contribute to lower the repairing cost.
CitationSong, P. and Chang, J., "A Study on the Performance of the New Bumper System with Gas Tube," SAE Technical Paper 2002-01-2116, 2002, https://doi.org/10.4271/2002-01-2116.
- Timoshenko S. P Goodier J.N “Theory of Elasticity” McGraw-HILL 485 504 1970
- Ahn. k.h “A study on the crash motion of polyurethane TPU airbag” Seoul univ. Textiles polymer depart 20 32 1992
- RCAR (Research council for automobile repairs) “Low speed frontal * rear 15 km 40% offset crash test damageability, repairability” RCAR 1999
- Choi. c.g “Computer simulation and effects analysis of shock absorbing facilities” Korea advanced institute of science and technology, engineering works depart 3.9 3.10 1993
- Nakamura S. “Applied numerical methods in C” Prentice Hall 81 82 1995
- Crandall S. H. et. al. “Introduction to the mechanics of Solid” McGraw-HILL 323 325 1978
- Kreyzig E. “Advanced engineering mathematics” JOHN WILEY & SONS 73 75 1993
- Korea insurance development institute “Automobile insurance statistical data” KIDI 56 60 2000
- Park. i.s “A study on the vehicle safety at a high speed crash and the vehicle damageability and repairability at a low speed crash” Kookmin univ 40 60 2000
- Lee. h.b Han. m.s Automobile design engineering” 195 207 1998
- Anselm “Passenger Body” Vogel 86 97 1998
- Watte, Alan J “Low Speed Automobile Accidents” Lawers & Judges Publishing Company, Inc. 1998
- Kia motors “Optima parts catalog and service manual” 111 130 1999