This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Describing the Formability of Tailor Welded Blanks
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published July 09, 2002 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Event: International Body Engineering Conference & Exhibition and Automotive & Transportation Technology Congress
This paper presents two methods of characterizing and describing the formability of tailor welded blanks (TWB). The first method involves using miniature tensile specimens, extracted from TWB weld material, to quantify mechanical properties and material imperfection within TWB welds. This technique combines statistical methods of describing material imperfection together with conventional M-K method modeling techniques to determine safe forming limit diagrams for weld material. The second method involves the use of an extended M-K method modeling technique, which places multiple material thickness and material imperfections inside one overall model of TWB performance. These methods of describing TWB formability and their application to specific aluminum TWB populations are described.
|Technical Paper||New Apparatus and Method for Forming Tailor Welded Blanks|
|Technical Paper||Numerical Modeling Technique for Tailor Welded Blanks|
|Journal Article||The Effect of Surface Finish on Aluminum Sheet Friction Behavior|
CitationDavies, R., Grant, G., Smith, M., and McCleary, S., "Describing the Formability of Tailor Welded Blanks," SAE Technical Paper 2002-01-2085, 2002, https://doi.org/10.4271/2002-01-2085.
SAE 2002 Transactions Journal of Materials & Manufacturing
Number: V111-5 ; Published: 2003-09-15
Number: V111-5 ; Published: 2003-09-15
- Martin P, Zhang R, Altshuller B, Finn MJ, Worswick MJ. Formability of aluminum multi-gauge tailor welded blanks. In: Sahoo M and Fradet C, editors. Light Metals 98, The Metall Soc of CIM 1998; 409-423.
- Davies R.W., Grant G.J., Smith M.T., and Oliver H. Eddie; “Formability and Fatigue of Aluminum Tailor Welded Blanks,” Proceedings of the 2000 International BodyEngineering Conference, Detroit, Ml, October 3-5, 2000, SAE Technical Paper Series No. 2000-01-2664, SAE International, Warrendale, PA.
- Kridli G. and Friedman P. A.; “Formability of Aluminum Tailor-Welded Blanks,” SAE 2000 World Congress, March 2000, Detroit, MI, USA, SAE Technical Paper Series No. 2000-01-0772, SAE International, Warrendale, PA.
- Abdullah K., Wild P.M., Jeswiet J.J., Ghasempoor A.; “Tensile Testing for Weld Deformation Properties in Similar Gage Tailor Welded Blanks using the Rule of Mixtures,” Journal of Materials Processing Technology, Volume: 112, Issue: 1, pp. 91-97, May 3, 2001.
- Davies R.W., Smith M.T., Oliver H.E., Khaleel M.A., and Pitman S.G., “Weld Metal Ductility in Aluminum Tailor Welded Blanks,” Metallurgical and Materials Trans A, Vol. 31A, pp. 2755-2763, November, 2000.
- Davies R.W., Oliver H.E., Smith M.T., and Grant G.J., “Characterizing Al Tailor Welded Blanks for Automotive Applications,” JOM, Vol. 51, No. 11, November 1999.
- Davies R.W., Grant G.J., Oliver H.E., Khaleel M.A., and Smith M.T., “Forming Limit Diagrams of Aluminum Tailor Welded Blank Weld Material,” Metallurgical and Materials Trans A, Vol. 32A, pp. 275-283, February, 2001.
- Marcińiak Z. and Kuczynski K.; “Limit Strains in the Processes of Stretch-forming Sheet Metal,” International Journal of Mechanical Sciences, Vol. 9, pp. 609-620, 1967.
- Graf A. and Hosford W. F.; “Calculation of Forming Limit Diagrams,” Metall. Trans. A, 21A, 1990, pp.87
- Graf A. and Hosford W. F.: Forming Limit Diagrams: Concepts, Methods, and Applications, TMS, 1989, pp.153
- Lian J. and Baudelet B.: Mater. Sci. Eng., 86, 1987, pp. 137-144
- Weibull, W.; “A Statistical Distribution Function of Wde Applicability,” Journal of Applied Mechanics, Vol. 18, 1951.
- Grant G. J., Davies R.W., and Smith M. T., “M-K Method Modeling of the Formability and Failure Modes of Aluminum tailor Welded Blanks in Automotive Applications,” Submitted to the International Journal of Mechanical Sciences, November 2000.