This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Traffic Maneuvers of Elderly: Their Viewpoint and Perspective
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published July 09, 2002 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Event: International Body Engineering Conference & Exhibition and Automotive & Transportation Technology Congress
Population trends indicate that older drivers account for a larger and more significant portion of the driving population than in the past and this number is expected to increase in the future. The objective of this study is to identify the specific driving maneuvers whose unsuccessful undertaking results in specific types of crashes involving these drivers. Four types of crashes were identified as the most prominent areas and a survey was conducted that examined their perspective. The findings of this study will be used to improve our understanding of the needs of elderly drivers to create a safer environment for all.
CitationLaura, M. and Nikiforos, S., "Traffic Maneuvers of Elderly: Their Viewpoint and Perspective," SAE Technical Paper 2002-01-2081, 2002, https://doi.org/10.4271/2002-01-2081.
- The Road Information Program (TRIP), Traffic Safety and Older Americans Making Roads Safer for Motorists October 2000
- Burkhardt, J. McGavock, A. 1999 “Tomorrow's Older Drivers: Who? How Many? What Impacts?.” Transportation Research Record, 1693 62 70
- Boehm-Davis, D. Wochinger, K. 1995 The Effects of Age, Spatial Ability, and Navigational Information on Navigational Performance Report No. FHWA-RD-95-166 Federal Highway Administration Virginia
- Adkins, G. Mercier, C. Mercier, J. Shelley, M. 1999 “Age and Gender as Predictors of Injury Severity in Broadside and Angle Vehicular Collisions.” Transportation Research Record,1693 50 61
- Cerelli, Ezio 1989 Older Drivers, The Age Factor in Traffic Safety Publication No. DOT HS 807 402 National Traffic Safety Administration Washington DC
- Agent, K. Pigman, J. Ridgeway, M. Stamatiadis, N. Evaluation of Retesting in Kentucky's Driver License Process Kentucky Transportation Cabinet Lexington, KY
- Chu, Xuehao 1994 The Effects of Age on the Driving Habits of the Elderly Publication No. DOT-T- 95-12 US Department of Transportation Washington DC.
- Byington, S. Harkey, D. Lococo, K. Staplin, L. Guidelines and Recommendations To Accommodate Older Drivers and Pedestrians, Report No. FHWARD-01-051. Federal Highway Administration Virginia
- National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, Traffic Safety Facts 1999 - Older Population, Publication No. DOT HS 809 091.
- Ballard, J. Bishu, R. McCoy, P. Tarawneh, M. 1993 “Factors Associated with Driving Performance of Older Drivers.” Transportation Research Record, 1405 64 71