This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Aerodynamic Design of High Performance Cars: Discussion and Examples on the Use of Optimization Procedures
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published July 09, 2002 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Event: International Body Engineering Conference & Exhibition and Automotive & Transportation Technology Congress
In the initial phase of the aerodynamic car project, difficulties arise from the large number of parameters involved. A systematic aerodynamic analysis taking into account the effects of all these parameters appears to be difficult. The use of a direct numerical optimization technique appears very attractive to solve this complex survey. In this paper a critical analysis of the most significant optimization methodologies is presented. The characteristics and the use of a specific optimization tool are also described, to highlight the capabilities offered by the optimization approach. The use of this procedure to increase the car safety, increasing the vertical down-load without affecting car performance, is detailed. Furthermore, the problems arising from the present implementation and the relevant indications for a more efficient and effective optimization procedure are discussed.
|Technical Paper||THE VAPOR PRESSURE TOLERANCE OF FUEL SYSTEMS|
|Technical Paper||Exhaust noise design based on psycho-acoustic parameters|
|Technical Paper||Implementation of Parametric Anaylsis to the Aerodynamic Design of a Hypersonic Strike Fighter|
CitationLombardi, G., Beux, F., and Carmassi, S., "Aerodynamic Design of High Performance Cars: Discussion and Examples on the Use of Optimization Procedures," SAE Technical Paper 2002-01-2043, 2002, https://doi.org/10.4271/2002-01-2043.
- RTO Meeting Proceedings 35, “Aerodynamic Design and Optimization of Flight Vehicles in a Concurrent Multi-Disclipinary Environment”, June 2000.
- Newman J.C. III, Taylor A.C. III, Barnwell R.W., Newman P.A., Hou G.J.-W., “Overview of Sensitivity Analysis and Shape Optimization for Complex Aerodynamic Configurations”, Journal of Aircraft, Vol.36, No. 1, Jan. 1999, pp. 87-96.
- Fenwick S. V., Harris J.P., “The Application of Pareto Frontier methods in the Multidisciplinary Wing Design of a Generic Modern Military Delta Aircraft”, RTO Meeting Proceedings 35, “Aerodynamic Design and Optimization of Flight Vehicles in a Concurrent Multi-Disclipinary Environment”, June 2000.
- Lombardi G., Manacorda G., Paap H.G., Vicerè A., “Optimized Aerodynamic Design for High Performance Cars”, AIAA Paper 98-4789, 7th AIAA/USAF/NASA/ISSMO Symposium on Multidisciplinary Analysis and Optimization, Sept.1998, St. Louis.
- Beccaria M., Buresti G., Ciampa A., Lombardi G., Gentzsch W., Paap H.G.,Vicere' A., “High Performance Road-vehicle Optimised Aerodynamic Design: Application of Parallel Computing to Car Design”, Journal of Future Generation Computer Systems, 1999.
- Bischof C.H., Carle A., Corliss G.F., Griewank A., Hovland P., “ADIFOR: Generating derivative code from FORTRAN programs”, Scientific Programming, Vol. 1, 1992, pp. 11-29.
- Hajela P., “Nongradient methods in multidisciplinary design optimisation - status and potential”, Journal of Aaircraft, Vol. 36, No. 1, Jan. 1999, pp. 255-265.
- Holland J.H., “Adaptation in natural and artificial systems”, Univ. Of Michigan Press, Ann Arbor, MI, 1975.
- Giotis A.P., Giannakoglou K.C., Périaux J., “A reduced-cost multi-objective optimization method based on the Pareto front technique”, Neural Networks and PVM. European Congress on Computational Methods in Applied Sciences and Engineering, ECCOMAS 2000, Barcelona, September 2000.
- Karakasis M.K., Giotis A.P., Giannakoglou K.C., “Efficient genetic optimization using inexact information and sensitivity analysis. Application in shape optimization problems”, European Congress on Computational Methods in Applied Sciences and Engineering, ECCOMAS 2001, Swansea, September 2001.
- Tse D.C.M., Chan L.Y.Y., “Application of micro genetic algorithms and neural networks for airfoil design optimization”, Symposium on Aerodynamic Design and Optimisation of Flight Vehicles in a Concurrent Multi-Disciplinary Environment, Ottawa, October 1999. RTO-MP-35, 2000; pp. 23-1/23-11.
- Marco N., Lanteri S., Desidéri J.A., Périaux J., “A parallel genetic algorithm for multi-objective optimization in computational fluid dynamics”, Evolutionary Algorithms in Engineering and Computer Science, Miettinen et al Eds, John Wiley and Sons, 1999, pp. 445-456.
- Lee J., Hajela P., “Parallel genetic algorithm implementation in multidisciplinary rotor blade design”, Journal of Aircraft, Vol. 33, No. 5, Sept. 1996; pp. 962-969.
- Syrjakow M., Szczerbicka H., “Efficient parameter optimization based on combination of direct global and local search methods Evolutionary Algorithms”, the IMA volumes in Mathematics and its Applications, Davis et al Eds, Springer 1999; 111, pp. 227-249.
- Poloni C., Giurgevich A., Onesti L., Pediroda V., “Hybridization of a multi-objective genetic algorithm, a neural network and a classical optimizer for a complex design in fluid dynamics”, Comput. Methods Appl. Mech. Eng., 2000; 186, pp. 403-420.
- Dulikravich G.S., Martin T.J, Dennis B.H., Foster N.F., “Multidisciplinary hybrid constrained GA optimization Evolutionary Algorithms in Engineering and Computer Science”, Miettinen et al Eds, John Wiley and Sons, 1999, pp. 233-259.
- Burczynski T., Beluch W., Dlugosz A., Nowakowski M., Orantek P., “Coupling of the boundary element method and evolutionary algorithms in optimization and identification problems. European Congress on Computational Methods in Applied Sciences and Engineering, ECCOMAS 2000, Barcelona, September 2000.
- Vicini A., Quagliarella D., “Airfoil and wing design through hybrid optimization strategies”, AIAA Journal, Vol. 37, No. 5, May 1999; pp. 634-641.
- Lombardi G., Mengali G., Beux F., “An hybrid genetic based optimisation procedure for aircraft conceptual analysis”, submitted to Aircraft Design.
- Tabacchi L., “Valutazione delle Pressioni su Corpi di interesse automobilistico: Applicazione di un Codice di Flusso Potenziale e Sperimentazione in Galleria”, Thesis in Aeronautical Engineering, Università di Pisa, June 1993.
- Gruen N., “Simulating External Aerodynamics with CARFLOW”, SAE Paper 960679, 1996.
- Buresti G., Lombardo D., “Prediction of Pressure Loads on Streamlined Bluff Bodies through Potential Flow Solvers”, Proc. XIV National Congress of the Italian Association for Aeronautics and Astronautics, Napoli, 1997, Vol. I, pp. 63-72.
- Polito L., Lombardi G., “Calculation of Steady and Unsteady Aerodynamic Loads for Wing-Body Configurations at Subcritical Speeds”, AIDAA Conference Proceedings, Napoli, 1983, Vol. 1, pp. 209-222.
- Baston A., Lucchesini M., Manfriani L., Polito L., Lombardi, G., “Evaluation of Pressure Distributions on an Aircraft by Two Different Panel Methods and Comparison with Experimental Measurements”, 15th ICAS Congress, London, Sept. 1986.
- Morino L., Chen L.T., Suciu E.O, “Steady and oscillatory subsonic aerodynamics around complex configurations”, AJAA Journal, Vol. 13, No. 3, March 1975, pp. 368-374.