This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Numerical Simulation of Airflow Around the Car Body Using SST Turbulence Model
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published July 09, 2002 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Event: International Body Engineering Conference & Exhibition and Automotive & Transportation Technology Congress
In this paper, computational calculations have been performed by solving the time-averaged turbulent Navier-Stokes equations using the SST (SHEAR STRESS TRANSPORT) turbulence model. It involves the numerical background, turbulence model, the numerical approach and so on. The application of the airflow around a test car model with wheels is given and compared with the experimental results in order to validate a simulation method of the flow field. The calculation results and the experimental results show reasonable agreement.
CitationJun, W., Zheng-qi, G., and Zhi-hua, Z., "Numerical Simulation of Airflow Around the Car Body Using SST Turbulence Model," SAE Technical Paper 2002-01-2042, 2002, https://doi.org/10.4271/2002-01-2042.
- Patankar S. V. Numerical Heat Transfer and Fluid Flow New York Mcgraw-Hill 1980
- zheng-qi Gu tian-ze Huang Computer Simulation of Bus Body Surface Pressure Distribution and Experimental Research IPC-6 1991 20 8 276 282
- Matsunaga Keiji et al. Finite Difference Simulation of 3D Vertical Flows Past Road Vehicles SAE 920339
- Rawnsley, S. M. et al. Numerical Wind Tunnel for Aerodynamic Simulation of Road Vehicles Automobile Engineer 1985 10 2
- Rawnsley, S. M. et al. Application of the PHOENICS Code to the Computation of the Flow Around Automobile SAE sp-656 139 147 Detroit 1985
- Schneider, G.E. Raw, M.J. “Control-Volume Finite Element Method for Heat Transfer and Fluid Flow Using Co-located Variables - 1. Computational Procedure.” Numerical Heat Transfer 11 363 390 1987
- Hutchinson, B.R. Raithby, G.D. “A Multigrid method Based on the Additive Correction Strategy” Numerical Heat Transfer 9 511 537 1986
- Launder, B.E. Reece, G.J. Rodi, W. “Progress in the developments of a Reynolds-stress turbulence closure” J. Fluid Mechanics 68 537 566 1975
- Speziale, C.G. Sarkar, S. Gatski, T.B. “Modelling the pressure-strain correlation of turbulence: an invariant dynamical systems approach” J. Fluid Mechanics 277 245 272 1991
- Menter F.R. “Two-equation eddy-viscosity turbulence models for engineering applications” AIAA-Journal 32 8 1994
- Grotjans H. Menter F.R. “Wall functions for general application CFD codes” Papailiou K.D. et al. ECCOMAS 98 Proceedings of the Fourth European Computational Fluid Dynamics Conference 1112 1117 John Wiley & Sons 1998
- Wilcox D.C. “Multiscale model for turbulent flows” AIAA 24th Aerospace Sciences Meeting American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics 1986
- Menter F.R. Multiscale model for turbulent flows 24th Fluid Dynamics Conference American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics 1993
- Launder B. E. Spalding D. B. “The numerical computation of turbulent flows” Comp Meth Appl Mech Eng 3 269 289 1974
- White F. M. “Viscous Fluid Flow” McGraw-Hill 1979
- Schlichting H. “Boundary Layer Theory” McGraw-Hill 1979