This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Hybrid Storage System: An Optimization Case
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published June 03, 2002 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Event: Future Car Congress
The paper deals with the study of an original on-board power system that combines battery, ultracapacitors (UCs) and a Fuel Cell. The project was funded by the Italian Government in the framework of the new Hydrogen Research Project and is conceived as the first step of a project involving ENEA, (Italian National Agency for New Technology, Energy and Environment, and University of Rome “Roma 3”, aimed at developing a Fuel Cell-powered drive train, for a city-car. It foresees the realization of the drive train in a prototype version, powered by a 5 kW DeNora Fuel Cell, and its testing beside the ENEA laboratories in Casaccia. The report highlights the storage system design phase, emphasising the role that ultracapacitors could fulfill in a near future thanks to their peculiar characteristics, and point at an optimisation method, based on the “simplesso method”, for the technical and economic sizing of such a hybrid storage system.
CitationDi Napoli, A. and Pede, G., "Hybrid Storage System: An Optimization Case," SAE Technical Paper 2002-01-1914, 2002, https://doi.org/10.4271/2002-01-1914.
- “Vehicle Testing in ENEA Drive-train Test Facility” Lo Bianco G. Pede G. Rossi E. Puccetti A. ENEA Mantovani G. ALTRA Advanced Hybrid Vehicles Powertrains SAE SP-1607 Detroit March 2001
- “Employment of Ultra-Capacitors for Power Leveling Requirements in EV: a State of the Art” Brucchi F. Lo Bianco G. Salvati P. Giulii Capponi F. Solero L. Proc. of the 32th ISATA 1999 371 379
- “Flow field design and testing for PEM bipolar plate” Galli S. Giorgi L. Pozio A. Scola F. VII Grove Fuel Cell Symposium September 11-13 2001 London (U.K.)
- “Development of Fuel Cell Hybrid Vehicle” Matsumoto Tadaichi Watanabe Nobuo Sugiura Hiroshi Ishikawa Tetsuhiro Toyota Motor Corporation EVS 18 Berlin October 2001
- “Power Converter Arrangements with Ultracapacitor Tank for Battery Load Leveling in EV Motor Drives” Di Napoli Giulii Capponi F. Solero L. Proc. of the 8th European Conference on Power Electronics and Applications 1999
- “Ultracapacitor and Battery Storage System Supporting Fuel-Cell Powered Vehicles” Di Napoli A. Crescimbini F. Solero L. Pede G. Lo Bianco G. Pasquali M. EVS 18 Berlin October 2001
- “Evaluating Commercial and Prototype HEVs” An Feng et alii Argonne National Laboratory SAE SP-1607 Detroit March 2001
- “Recent Accomplishment of the Electric and Hybrid Vehicle Storage R&D Programs at the U.S. Department of Energy: a Status Report” Sutula R. Heitner K.L. Rogers S.A. Dong Tien Q. Kirk R.S. OATT Battaglia V. Henriksen G. Argonne N.L. McLarnon F. Lawerence Berkeley N.L. Kumar B.J. Schonefeld C. Energetics Inc. EVS-17 Montreal October 2000
- “ISAD opts for UltraCaps For Next-Generation Vehicles” EPCOS Components 4 October 2000
- “Maxwell to supply ultracapacitors for GM/Allison hybrid systems” Automotive Engineering International March 2001
- “Ultracapacitors and the Hybrid Electric Vehicle” Maher, Bobby Applications Engineer PowerCache
- “Combining Ultra-Capacitors with lead-acid Batteries” Arnet B.J. Haines L.P. Solectria Corporation EVS-17 Montreal October 2000
- “Current Status Report on U.S. Department of Energy Electric and Hybrid Vehicle Energy Storage R&D Programs” Sutula R. Heitner K.L. Barnes J.A. Dong Tien Q. Kirk R.S. Battaglia V. Kumar B.J. Bezanson C. EVS-18 October 2001 Berlin
- “Ovonic NiMH Batteries: the Enablin Technology for Heavy Duty Electric & Hybrid Electric vehicles” Fritz G. Karditsas N. Venkatesan S. Corrigan D. Dahr S.K. Ovshinsky S.R. Ovonic Battery Comany SAE Paper 2000-01-3108
- “A Progress Report of the Capacitor Hybrid System - ECS” Okamura Michio EVS-18 October 2001 Berlin
- “Update of UC technologies and Hybrid Vehicles Applications: Passenger Cars and Buses” Burke Andrew Millers Marshall Univerisity of California Davis EVS-18 October 2001 Berlin