This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
High-Volume, Low-Cost Precursors for Carbon Fiber Production
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published June 03, 2002 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Event: Future Car Congress
Carbon fiber composite use in automobiles and light trucks could dramatically reduce energy use and engine-out emissions. However, worldwide capacity of 28,000 tonnes per year of carbon fiber from polyacrylonitrile (PAN) and petroleum pitch could support limited automotive use. Production of high-volume, industrial-grade fiber from renewable and recycled polymers (lignin, recycled plastics, regenerated cellulosics) could meet automotive demand. Profiles of material volumes, carbon content, and melting points indicate several attractive candidates for production melt-spun carbon fiber feedstocks. Effects on the carbon fiber production cycle and its integration into automotive production are discussed.
CitationLeitten,, C., Griffith, W., Compere, A., and Shaffer, J., "High-Volume, Low-Cost Precursors for Carbon Fiber Production," SAE Technical Paper 2002-01-1907, 2002, https://doi.org/10.4271/2002-01-1907.
SAE 2002 Transactions Journal of Materials & Manufacturing
Number: V111-5; Published: 2003-09-15
Number: V111-5; Published: 2003-09-15
- Stark, H. A. 1997 Ward's automotive yearbook Detroit, MI Ward's Communications Inc.
- American Automobile Manufacturers Association 1997 Motor vehicle facts and figures Detroit, MI American Automobile Manufacturers Association
- Shiokawa, M. Matsumoto, T. 1989
- Seo, T. Oono Murakami, Y. 1990
- Minister of Technology London 1971
- Hatori, H. Yamada, Y. Shiraishi, M. Takahashi, Y. 1993 Shigento Kankyo 2 3 245 53
- Bacon, R. 1973 Carbon fibers from rayon precursors Chemistry and Physics of Carbon 9 New York Marcel Dekker, Inc.
- Konkin, A. A. 1985 Production of cellulose based carbon fibrous materials Handbook of Composites New York Elsevier Science Publishers, Inc.
- Mannsmann, M. Winter, G Pampus, G. Schnoring, H. Schon, N. 1973
- Otani, S. Fukuoka, Y. 1969
- Johnson, D. J. Tomizuka, I. Watanbe, O. 1975 Carbon 13 321
- Ehrburger, P. Donnet, J.-B. 1985 Carbon and Graphite fibers Handbook of Fiber Science and Technology III High Technology Fibers New York Marcel Dekker, Inc.
- Bahl, O. P. Shen, Z. Lavin, J. G. Ross, R. A. 1998 Manufacture of carbon fibers Carbon Fibers Donnet, J. B. Wang, T. K. Peng, J. C. M. Rebouillat, S. 1 83 New York Marcel Dekker, Inc.
- Recycler's World website http://www.recycle.net/price/
- Chemical Marketing Reporter 1996
- Dyer, H. 1997 Lockwood-Post's Directory of the Pulp, Paper, and Allied Trades for 1998 New York Miller Freeman
- Thielemans, W. Can, E. Morye, S. S. Wool, R. P. 2002 Novel applications of lignin in composite materials Journal of Applied Polymer Science 83 323 331
- Wool, R. P. Kusefoglu, S. R. Pamese, G. Zhao, R. Khot, S. N. 2000
- Dieffenbach, -J.-R Mascarin, -A.-E. Fisher, -M.-M 1993 Cost simulation of the automobile recycling infrastructure: the impact of plastics recovery SAE Special Publication 966, Automobile-Life-Cycle-Tools-and-Recycling-Technologies , paper 930557
- Lang, N. A. 1995 Auto industry targets fluff for recycling Waste Age 26 1 4
- Watt, W. 1985 Carbonfibres from polyacrylonitrile. In Strong Fibres 1 Handbook of Composites Watt, W. Perov, B. V. 327 390 New York Elsevier Science Publishing Company, Inc.
- Leon y Leon, C. A. et.al. Polyethylene and Polypropylene as Low Cost Carbon Fiber (LCCF) Precursors Proceedings of the 33 International Society for the Advancement of Material and Process Engineering (SAMPE) Technical Conference 1289 1296 Nov. 5-8 2001
- Schmidl, G. W. 1992 Molecular weight characterization and rheology of lignins for carbon fibers. Dissertation University of Florida
- Griffith, W. L. Compere, A. L. Shaffer, J. T. Leitten, C. F., Jr. Gilbert, R. D. Kadla, J. F. Kubo, S. Venditti, R. A. 2000 Low cost carbon fiber from renewable resources Proceedings, Midwest Advanced Materials and Processing Conference 12-14 September Dearborn, MI 24 30 Society for the Advancement of Material and Process Engineering
- Leitten, C. F., Jr. Griffith, W. L. Compere, A. L. Shaffer, J. T. 2001 Low cost carbon fiber from renewable resources Proceedings of the 33rd International Society for the Advancement of Material and Process Engineering (SAMPE) Technical Conference Falcone, A. Nelson, K/M. Albers, R. Avery, W. B. 1306 1314 Covina CA Society for the Advancement of Material and Process Engineering
- Paulauskas, F. L. Bigelow, T. S. Yarborough, K. D. Meek, T. T. 2000 Manufacturing of carbon fibers using microwave assisted plasma technology Proceedings of the 2000 Future Car Congress . Society of Automotive Engineers paper 200-01-1527
- Brown, C. A. Hunter, W. D. 1998 Operating experience at North America's first commercial black liquor gasification plant Proceedings, 1998 TAPPI International Chemical Recovery Conference 655 662 Atlanta, GA TAPPI
- Whitty, K. Nilsson, A. 2001 Experience from a high temperature, pressurized black liquor gasification plant Proceedings of the International Chemical Recovery Conference Whistler, British Columbia, Canada 11 14 June 2001 281 287