This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Development and Validation of a Quasi-Dimensional Model for HCCI Engine Performance and Emissions Studies Under Turbocharged Conditions
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published May 06, 2002 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
A PC-based, computationally-efficient, quasi-dimensional simulation of HCCI engine performance and emissions has been developed with the intent to bridge the gap between zero-dimensional and sequential fluid-mechanic - thermo-kinetic models. The model couples a detailed chemistry description, a core gas model, a predictive boundary layer model, and a ring-dynamics crevice flow model. The thermal boundary layer, which is axially discretized to account for the relative piston motion, is modeled using compressible energy arguments. The ring-pack crevice zone is modeled using a coupled ring dynamic and flow model. The physically-based mathematical model is solved within the context of a single simulation framework, which lends to flexibility and expediency in performing a range of parametric studies. The simulation was validated under turbo-charged conditions using data obtained from a Caterpillar 3500 test engine. Predictions of engine combustion and performance were found to be in very satisfactory agreement with experimental data. It was also shown that the simulation can predict emissions of unburned hydrocarbons (UHC) within 10-20% and carbon monoxides (CO) within 50% over a range of turbocharged engine conditions.
CitationFiveland, S. and Assanis, D., "Development and Validation of a Quasi-Dimensional Model for HCCI Engine Performance and Emissions Studies Under Turbocharged Conditions," SAE Technical Paper 2002-01-1757, 2002, https://doi.org/10.4271/2002-01-1757.
SAE 2002 Transactions Journal of Fuels and Lubricants
Number: V111-4 ; Published: 2003-09-15
Number: V111-4 ; Published: 2003-09-15
- Onishi, S., Hong, S. J., Shoda, K., Do Jo, P. and Kato S., “Active Thermo Atmospheric Combustion (ATAC) - A New Combustion Process for Internal Combustion Engines,” SAE Paper 790501, 1979.
- Najt, P.M. and Foster D.E., “Compression-Ignited Homogeneous Charge Combustion,” SAE Paper 830264, 1983.
- Thring, R.H., “Homogeneous Charge Compression Ignition (HCCI) Engines,” SAE Paper 892068, 1989.
- Smith, J.R., Aceves, S.M., Westbrook, C. and Pitz W., “Modeling of Homogeneous Charge Compression Ignition (HCCI) of Methane,” Proceedings of the 1997 ASME Internal Combustion Engine Fall Technical Conference, ASME Paper No. 97-ICE-68, ICE-VOL. 29-3, pp. 85-90, 1997.
- Christensen, M., Johansson, B., Amneus, P., and Mauss, F., “Supercharged Homogeneous Charge Compression Ignition,” SAE Paper 980787, 1998.
- Aceves, S.M., Smith, J.R., Westbrook, C.K., Pitz, W.J., “Compression Ratio Effect on Methane HCCI Combustion,” Journal of Engineering for Gas Turbines and Power, Vol. 121, pp. 569-574, 1999.
- Fiveland S.B. and Assanis D. N., “A Four-Stroke Homogeneous Charge Compression Ignition Engine Simulation for Combustion and Performance Studies,” SAE Paper 2000-01-0332, 2000.
- Ryan, T.W. and Callahan T., “Homogeneous Charge Compression Ignition of Diesel Fuel,” SAE Paper 961160, 1996.
- Amneus, P., Nilsson, D., Christensen, M. and Johansson B., “Homogeneous Charge Compression Ignition Engine: Experiments and Detailed Kinetic Calculations,” The Fourth Symposium on Diagnostics and Modeling of Combustion in Internal Combustion Engines, Comodia 98, pp. 567-572, 1998.
- Flowers, D., Aceves, S., Westbrook, C.K., Smith, J.R., and Dibble R., “Sensitivity of Natural Gas HCCI Combustion to Fuel and Operating Parameters Using Detailed Kinetic Modeling,” UCRL-JC-135058, 1999.
- Aceves S.M., Flowers, D.L., Westbrook, C.K., Smith, R.J., Pitz, W., Christensen, M. and Johansson B., “A Multi-Zone Model for Prediction of HCCI Combustion and Emissions,” SAE Paper 2000-01-0327, 2000.
- Kusaka, J., Yamamoto T., Daisho Y., Kihara R., Saito T., and Shinjuku O., “Predicting Homogeneous Charge Compression Ignition Characteristics of Various Hydrocarbons,” Proceedings of the 15th Internal Combustion Engine Symposium (International), Seoul, Korea, 1999.
- Van Blarigan, P. and S. Goldsborough, “A Numerical Study of a Free Piston Engine Operating on Homogeneous Charge Compression Ignition Combustion,” SAE Paper 990619, 1999.
- Hiltner, J., Agama, R., Mauss, F., Johansson, B. and Christensen M., HCCI Operation with Natural Gas: Fuel Composition Implications, ASME-ICE 2000 Fall Technical Conference, Vol., 35-2, Paper 2000-ICE-317, pp. 11-19, 2000.
- Dec, J., “A Computational Study of the Effects of Low Fuel Loading and EGR on Heat Release Rates and Combustion Limits in HCCI Engines,” SAE Paper 2002-01-1309, 2002.
- Agarwal, A. and Assanis D.N., “Modeling the Effect of Natural Gas Composition on Ignition Delay Under Compression Ignition Conditions,” SAE Paper 971711, 1997.
- Agarwal, A. and Assanis D.N., “Multi-Dimensional Modeling of Natural Gas Ignition Under Compression Ignition Conditions Using Detailed Chemistry,” SAE Paper 980136, 1998.
- Kong, S., Marriott, C.D., Reitz, R.D., and Christenson M., “Modeling and Experiments of HCCI Engine Combustion Using Detailed Chemical Kinetics with Multi-Dimensional CFD,” SAE Paper 2001-01-1026.
- Hong, S. J., Assanis D. N. and Wooldridge M. S., “Modeling of Chemical and Mixing Effects on Autoignition under Direct Injection Stratified Charge Condition,” Proceedings of 29th International Symposium on Combustion,” Sapporo, Japan, 2002.
- Aceves, S.M., Flowers, D.L., Martines-Frias, J., Smith, J.R., Westbrook, C., Pitz, W., Dibble, R., Wright, J., Akinyemi, W.C, and Hessel R.P., “A Sequential Fluid-Mechanic Chemical-Kinetic Model of Propane HCCI Combustion,” SAE Paper 2001-01-1027, 2001.
- Aceves, S.M., Martines-Frias, J., Flowers, D.L., Smith, J.R., Dibble, R., Wright, J. and Hessel R.P., “A Decoupled Model of Detailed Fluid-Mechanics Followed by Detailed Chemical-Kinetics for Prediction of Iso-Octane HCCI Combustion,” SAE Paper 2001-01-3612, 2001.
- Fiveland, S.B. and Assanis, D.N., “Development of a Two-Zone HCCI Combustion Model Accounting for Boundary Layer Effects,” SAE Paper 2001-01-1028, 2001.
- Assanis, D. N., and Heywood J. B., “Development and Use of Computer Simulation of the Turbocompounded Diesel System for Engine Performance and Component Heat Transfer Studies,” SAE Paper 860329, 1986.
- Fiveland, S.B., Agama, R., Christensen, M., Johansson, B., Hiltner, J., Mauss, F. and Assanis D.N., “Experimental and Simulated Results Detailing the Sensitivity of Natural Gas HCCI Engines to Fuel Composition, SAE Paper 2001-01-3609, 2001.
- Warnatz J., “A Reaction Mechanism for the Description of Low and High Temperature Oxidation of Hydrocarbon-Air Mixtures at Lean and Rich Conditions,” 1999.
- Hicks, R.E., Probstein, R.F., and Keck J.C., “A Model of Quench Layer Entrainment During Blowdown and Exhaust of the Cylinder of an Internal Combustion Engine,” SAE Paper 750009, 1975.
- Lavoie, G.A., and Blumberg P.N., “A Fundamental Model for Predicting Fuel Consumption, Nox and HC Emissions of the Conventional Spark-Ignition Engine”, Combustion Science and Technology, Vol. 21, pp. 225-258, 1980.
- Keck, J.C., “Thermal Boundary Layer in a Gas Subject To a Time Dependent Pressure”, Letters in Heat and Mass Transfer, Vol. 8, pp. 313-319, 1981.
- Blumberg, P.N., Lavoie, G., and Tabaczynski R., Phenomenological Models for Reciprocating Internal Combustion Engines”, Progress in Energy and Combustion and Science, Vol 5., pp. 123-167, 1979.
- Heywood, J.B., Internal Combustion Engine Fundamentals, McGraw-Hill, New York, 1988.
- Reitz, R.D. and Kou T., “Modeling of HC Emissions Due to Crevice Flows in Premixed-Charge Engines,” SAE Paper 892085, 1989.
- Assanis, D.N., and Shih K.L., “Effect of Ring Dynamics and Crevice Flows on Unburned Hydrocarbon Emissions,” ASME Trans., Journal of Engineering for Gas Turbines and Power, Vol. 116, October 1994.
- Borgnakke, C., Arpaci, V.S., and Tabaczynski R.J., “A Model for the Instantaneous Heat Transfer and Turbulence in a Spark Ignition Engine,” SAE Paper 800287, 1980.
- Puzinauskas, P. and Borgnakke C., “Evaluation and Improvement of an Unsteady Heat Transfer Model for Spark Ignition Engines,” SAE Paper 910298, 1991.
- Nayfeh, A., Perturbation Methods, Wiley & Sons, New York, 1973.
- Fiveland, S.B., “Modeling and Experimental Studies of a Large-Bore Natural Gas Engine Operating on Homogeneous Charge Compression Ignition,” University of Michigan, PhD. Thesis, 2002.
- Martin, M.K., and Heywood J. B., “Approximate Relationships for the Thermodynamic Properties of Hydrocarbon-Air Combustion Products,” Combustion and Flame, Vol. 15, pp. 1-10, 1977.
- Poulos, S.G. and J.B. Heywood J.B., “The Effect of Chamber Geometry on Spark-Ignition Engine Combustion”, SAE Paper 830334, SAE Trans., Vol. 92, 1983.
- Han, Z., and Reitz R.D., “A Temperature Wall Function Formulation for Variable-Density Turbulent Flows with Application to Engine Convective Heat Transfer Modeling,” International Journal of Heat Transfer, Vol., 40, No. 3, pp. 613-625, 1997.
- Furuhama, S. and Tada T., “On the Flow of Gas Through the Piston-Rings; 1st Report, The Discharge Coefficient and Temperature of Leakage Gas,” Bulletin of the JSME, vol. 4, 16:684-690, 1961.
- Furuhama, S., and Tada T., “On the Flow of Gas through the Piston-Rings; 2nd Report, The Character of Leakage Gas,” Bulletin of the JSME, vol. 4, 16:691-698, 1961.
- Furuhama, S., Hiruma, M., and Tsuzita M., “Piston Ring Motion and Its Influence on Engine Tribology,” SAE Paper 790860, 1979.
- Namazian, M. and Heywood J.B.., “Flow in the Piston-Cylinder-Ring Crevices of a Spark-Ignition Engine: Effect of Hydrocarbon Emissions, Efficiency and Power,” SAE Paper 820088, 1982.
- Roberts, C.E., and Matthews R.D., “Development and Application of an Improved Ring Pack Model for Hydrocarbon Emissions Studies,” SAE Paper 961966, 1996.
- Tonse, S.R., “Numerical Simulations of Emerging Piston Crevice Gases,” SAE Paper 961968, 1996.
- Kim, C., Bae, C., and Choi S., “Gas Flows Through the Inter-Ring Crevice and their Influence on UHC Emissions,” SAE Paper 1999-01-1553, 1999.
- Trinker, F.H., Cheng, J., and Davis G.C., “A Feedgas HC Emission Model for SI Engines Including Partial Burn Effects,” SAE Paper 932705, 1993.
- Christensen, M., Johansson, B., and Hultqvist A., “The Effect of Piston Topland Geometry on Emissions of Unburned Hydrocarbons from a Homogeneous Charge Compression Ignition (HCCI) Engine,” SAE Paper 2001-01-1893, 2001.
- Shapiro, A.H., Dynamics and Thermodynamics of Compressible Fluid Flow, Vol. I, pp. 182-183, The Ronald Press Company, New York, 1953.
- Lyford-Pike, E.J., and Heywood, J.B., “Thermal Boundary Layer Thickness in the Cylinder of a Spark-Ignition Engine,” International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer, Vol. 27, No. 10, pp. 1873-1878, 1984.
- Green, R.M., Parker, C.D., Pitz, W.J. and Westbrook C.K., “The Autoignition of Iso-Butane in a Knocking Spark Ignition Engine,” SAE Paper 870169, 1987.