This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Expansion of the Operating Range with In-Cylinder Water Injection in a Premixed Charge Compression Ignition Engine
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published May 06, 2002 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The control of fuel ignition timing and suppression of rapid combustion in a premixed charge compression ignition (PCCI) engine was attempted with direct in-cylinder injection of water as a reaction suppressor. The water injection significantly reduced the heat release at low temperature oxidation, which suppressed the increase in charge temperature after the low temperature oxidation and the rapid combustion caused by the high temperature oxidation. The possible engine operating range with ultra low NOx and smokeless combustion was extended to a higher load range with the water injection. Rapid combustion was suppressed by reductions in the maximum in-cylinder gas temperature due to water injection while the combustion efficiency suffered. Therefore, the maximum charge temperature needs to be controlled within an extremely limited range to maintain a satisfactory compromise between mild combustion and high combustion efficiency.
|Technical Paper||PLIF Measurements of Fuel Distribution in a PFI Engine Under Cold Start Conditions|
|Technical Paper||The Effect of Water Addition on HCCI Diesel Combustion|
|Technical Paper||An Experimental Approach to the Controlled Auto-Ignition|
CitationKaneko, N., Ando, H., Ogawa, H., and Miyamoto, N., "Expansion of the Operating Range with In-Cylinder Water Injection in a Premixed Charge Compression Ignition Engine," SAE Technical Paper 2002-01-1743, 2002, https://doi.org/10.4271/2002-01-1743.
- Najt, P. Foster, D.E. “Compression-Ignited Homogeneous Charge Combustion” SAE Paper 830264 1983
- Thring, R.H. “Homogeneous-Charge Compression-Ignition (HCCI) Engines” SAE Paper 892068 1989
- Christensen, M. Einewall, P. Johansson, B. “Homogeneous Charge Compression Ignition (HCCI) Using Iso-octane, Ethanol and Natural Gas- A Comparison to Spark Ignition” SAE Paper 972874 1997
- Christensen, M. Johansson, B. “Homogeneous Charge Compression Ignition with Water Injection” SAE Paper 990182 1999
- Yamasaki, Y. Iida, N. “Numerical Analysis of Auto-Ignition and Combustion of n-Butane and Air Mixture in the Homogeneous Charge Compression Ignition Engine” Proc. of COMODIA 2001 Nagoya, Japan 2001
- Kitamura, T. Ito, T. Senda, J. Fujimoto, H. “Detailed Chemical Kinetic Modeling of Diesel Spray Combustion with Oxygenated Fuels” SAE Paper 011262 2001
- Ogawa, H. Chenyu, L. Tosaka, S. Fujiwara, Y. Miyamoto, N. “Combustion Mechanism Analysis with In-Chamber Gas Compression Measurements in a Premixed Lean Compression Ignition Engine” Proc. of COMODIA 98 Kyoto, Japan 1998
- Kee, R.J. Rupley, F.M. Meeks, E.E. Miller, J.A. “CHEMKIN3: A Fortran Chemical Kinetics Package for the Analysis of Gas Phase Chemical and Plasma Kinetics” Sandia National Laboratories Report, SAND96-8216 1996
- Lutz, A.E. Kee, R.J. Miller, J.A. “SENKIN: A Fortran Program for Predicting Homogeneous Gas Phase Chemical Kinetics with Sensitivity Analysis” Sandia National Laboratories Report, SAND87-8248 1987