This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
The Possibility of Gas to Liquid (GTL) as a Fuel of Direct Injection Diesel Engine
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published May 06, 2002 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
In this study, engine performances and exhaust emissions characteristics of compression ignition engine fueled with GTL were investigated by comparison with diesel fuel. Diesel engine could be operated fueled with GTL without any special modify for the test engine. With the high cetane number of GTL, the ignition lag was shorter, and the combustion started earlier than that of diesel fuel. Brake thermal efficiency operated with GTL increased at middle load conditions due to incomplete combustion emission such as CO and THC were lower than that of diesel fuel operation. NOx emission with GTL was comparable to diesel fuel, and there was a little decrease at high load. With GTL, soot emission was lower than with diesel fuel at above middle load condition. It seemed to be a reason of soot reduction that there was little sulphur contained in GTL. The brake thermal efficiency with GTL increased with retarding the injection timing, but the decreasing rate regarding the injection timing was lower than with diesel fuel. The NOx and soot emissions with GTL were lower than with diesel fuel at any injection timing.
- Mitsuharu Oguma - New Energy and Industrial Technology Development Organization, NEDO
- Shinichi Goto - National Institute of Advanced Industrial Science and Technology, AIST
- Kazuya Oyama - Ibaraki University
- Kouseki Sugiyama - Iwatani International Corporation
- Makihiko Mori - Iwatani International Corporation
CitationOguma, M., Goto, S., Oyama, K., Sugiyama, K. et al., "The Possibility of Gas to Liquid (GTL) as a Fuel of Direct Injection Diesel Engine," SAE Technical Paper 2002-01-1706, 2002, https://doi.org/10.4271/2002-01-1706.
- Stavinoha Leo L., Alfaro Emilio S., Dobbs, Herbert H. Jr. and Villahermosa Luis A. and Heywood John B., “Alternative Fuels: Gas to Liquids as Potential 21st Century Truck Fuels”, SAE Paper, 2000-01-3422, 2000.
- IKUSHIMA Kenji and YAMAMOTO Soichi, “GAS TO LIQUIDS TECHNOLOGY (in Japanese)”, ENGINE TECHNOLOGY, Vol. 1, No. 2, pp. 52-55, 1999.
- Suzuki Shiinichi, “Gas to Liquids Technology of Natural Gas, High Pressure Gas, Vol38, No.9, 2001.
- Japan National Oil Corporation (http://www.jnoc.go.jp/c_lng/lngfile7.htm).
- Goto Shinichi, “Fuels Modified Technology, Development of New Energy Vehicles & Their Materials, pp183-186, 2001.
- Sorenson S.C. and Mikkelsen Svend-Erik, “Performance and Emissions of a 0.273 Liter Direct Injection Diesel Engine Fuelled with Neat Dimethyl Ether”, SAE Paper 950064, 1995.
- Kapus Paul and Ofner Herwig, “Development of Fuel Injection Equipment and Combustion System for DI Diesels Operated on Dimethyl Ether”, SAE Paper 950062, 1995.
- Fleisch Theo, McCarthy Chris, Basu Arun, Udovich Carl, Charbonneau Pat, Slodowske Warren, Mikkelsen Svend-Erik and McCandless Jim, “A New Clean Diesel Technology: Demonstration of ULEV Emissions on a Navistar Diesel Engine Fueled with Dimethyl Ether”, SAE Paper 950061, 1995.
- CHEN Zhili, KONNO Mitsuru and KAJITANI Shuichi, “Performance and Emissions of DI Compression Ignition Engines Fueled with Dimethyl Ether (1st Report, Performance and Emissions in Retrofitted Engines) (in Japanese)”, JSME paper, 64-627-B, pp.383-388, 1998.
- Kajitani S., Chen Z. L., Konno M. and Rhee K. T., “Engine Performance and Exhaust characteristics of Direct-Injection Diesel Engine Operated with DME, SAE Paper 972973, 1997.
- Oguma Mitsuharu, Konno Mitsuru, Kajitani Shuichi, Rhee Kyung T., “A Study of Low Compression-Ratio Dimethyl Ether (DME) Diesel Engine”, The ASME Internal Combustion Engine Division, Paper No. 2000-ICE-289, 2000.
- OGUMA Mitsuharu, MACHIDA Hideyuki, MINEGISHI Kiyotaka, KONNO Mitsuru and KAJITANI Shuichi, “A Study of Low Compression Ratio Dimethyl Ether (DME) Diesel Engine (in Japanese)”, JSME Paper, 66-648-B, pp.321-327, 2000.
- Tsukasaki Yukihiro, “Technical Trend of GTL Fuels for Automobiles(in Japanese)”, Journal of Society of Automotive Engineers of Japan, Vol.55, No.5, pp. 67-72, 2001.
- “Crude petroleum and petroleum products- Determination and estimation of heat of combustion”, Japanese Industrial Standards, JIS K 2279, 1993.