This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Diesel Particulate Emissions from Biofuels Derived from Spanish Vegetable Oils
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published May 06, 2002 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Methyl esters obtained from the most interesting Spanish oleaginous crops for energy use -sunflower and cynara cardunculus- were both used as diesel fuels in this work, pure and in 25% blends with a reference commercial fuel which was also used pure. A stationary engine test bed, together with the appropriate instrumentation for chemical and morphological analysis, allowed to evaluate the effect of these fuels on the engine emissions, particularly in the main particulate matter characteristics, such as soluble organic fraction, origin of adsorbed hydrocarbons, sulphate content, particle number per unit filter surface, and mean particle diameter. Both the consideration of the main thermochemical properties of the tested fuels and the computations of a chemical equilibrium model were helpful for the analysis of the experimental results. These results proved that the use of these vegetable esters provides a significant reduction on particulate emissions, mainly due to reduced soot and sulphate formation. On the contrary, no increases on NOx emissions nor reductions on mean particle size were found.
CitationLapuerta, M., Armas, O., and Ballesteros, R., "Diesel Particulate Emissions from Biofuels Derived from Spanish Vegetable Oils," SAE Technical Paper 2002-01-1657, 2002, https://doi.org/10.4271/2002-01-1657.
- Fernández, J. Hidalgo, M. Sánchez, G. Curt, M.D. Towards a varietal screening of Cynara Cardunculus for oil production. Biomass for Energy and Industry Proceedings of the 10 th European Biomass Conference (C.A.R.M.E.N.) 849 852 1998
- Staat, F. Gateau, P. “The effects of rapeseed oil methyl ester on Diesel engine performance, exhaust emissions and long-term behaviour - A summary of three years of experimentation” SAE paper 950053 1995
- Hansen, K.L. Jensen, M.G. Chemical and biological characteristics of exhaust emissions from a DI Diesel engine fuelled with rapeseed oil methyl-ester (RME) SAE paper 971689 1997
- Chang, D.Y. Van Gerpen, J.H. Fuel properties and engine performance for biodiesel prepared from modified feedstocks SAE paper 971684 1997
- Tritthart, P. Zelenka, P. Vegetable oils and alcohols additive fuels for Diesel engines SAE paper 905112 1990
- Sapuan, S.M. Masjuki, H.H. Azlan, A. The use of palm oil as Diesel fuel substitute IMechE 210 47 53 1995
- Reid, R.C. Praustnitz, J.H. Poling, B.E. The properties of gases and liquids 4th Mc GrawHill 1987
- Lapuerta, M. Hernández J.J. Armas, O. Kinetic modelling of gaseous emissions in a Diesel engine SAE paper 2000-01-2939 2000
- Lapuerta, M. Armas, O. Ballesteros, R. Carmona, M. Fuel effects on automotive Diesel engine emissions 3rd International Colloquium Fuels 2001 Technische Akademie Esslingen 225 232 2001
- Lapuerta, M. Armas, O. Ballesteros, R. Durán, A. Influence of mini-tunnel operating parameters and ambient conditions on Diesel particulate measurement and analysis SAE paper 1999-01-3531 1999
- Lapuerta, M. Armas, O. Ballesteros, R. Carmona, M. Fuel formulation effects on passenger car Diesel engine particulate emissions and composition SAE paper 2000-01-1850 2000
- De Lucas, A. Durán, A. Carmona, M. Lapuerta, M. Characterization of soluble organic fraction in DPM: optimization of extraction method SAE paper 1999-01-3532 1999
- IP PM BZ/96. Analysis of fuel- and oil-derived hydrocarbons in Diesel particulates on filters-Gas chromatography method 1996
- González, R.C. Wintz, P. Digital image processing 2nd Addison Wesley 1987
- Sharp, C.A. Howell, S.A. Jobe, J. The effect of biodiesel fuels on transient emissions from modern Diesel engines. Part I. Regulated emissions and performance SAE paper 2000-01-1967
- Seradi, A. Fragioudakis, K. Teas, C. Zannikos, F. Stournas, S. Lois, E. Effect of biodiesel addition to Diesel fuel on engine performance and emissions Journal of propulsion and power 15 2 224 231 1999
- Naber, D. Lange, W.W. Reglitzgly, A.A. Schafer, A. Gairing, M. Le'Jeune, A. The influence of fuel properties on exhaust emissions from advanced Mercedes Benz Diesel engine SAE paper 932685 1993