This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Influence of an Adjustable Tumble-System on In-Cylinder Air Motion and Stratification in a Gasoline Direct Injection Engine
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published May 06, 2002 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
To meet future emission standards with gasoline direct injection engines it is important to have a reliable process robustness during stratified charge operation. Especially engines with a wide spacing arrangement of fuel injector and spark plug which operate with an air-guided concept are very sensitive concerning misfire operation caused by cyclic variations of the mixture formation and transport. Primarily the turbulent in-cylinder gas motion and the interaction with the fuel injection indicate these fluctuations. To reduce these cycle-to-cycle variations and to generate a steady flow behavior an adjustable air-guiding system was developed and attached to the inlet port of a single-cylinder DI engine. The following examinations show that the air-guiding system can lead to a significant reduction of the cycle-to-cycle-variation of the in-cylinder air flow. As a result of these improvements, the deviation of imep in the fired engine decreases obviously.
CitationFischer, J., Kettner, M., Nauwerck, A., Pfeil, J. et al., "Influence of an Adjustable Tumble-System on In-Cylinder Air Motion and Stratification in a Gasoline Direct Injection Engine," SAE Technical Paper 2002-01-1645, 2002, https://doi.org/10.4271/2002-01-1645.
- Spicher U. Reissing J. Kech J.M. Gindele J. “Gasoline Direct Injection (GDI) Engines - Developement Potentialities” SAE Technical Paper 1999-01-2938 1999
- Reissing J. Peters H. Kech J.M. Spicher U. “Experimental and numerical analyses of the combustion process in a direct injection gasoline engine” International Journal of Engine Research 2000
- Weng V. Gindele J. Töpfer G. Spicher U. Latsch R. Kuhnert D. “Investigation of the Bowl-Prechamber-Ignition (BPI) Concept in a Direct Injection Gasoline Engine at Part Load” SAE Technical Paper 1999-01-3658 1999
- Kech J.M. Reissing J. Gindele J. Spicher U. “Analyses of the combustion process in a direct injection gasoline engine” 4th Int. Symposium on Diagnostics and Modelling of combustion in internal combustion engines Kyoto 1998
- Breuer M. Adomeit P. Geiger J. Lang O. Wolters P. “Tumble Combustion System for Direct Injection Gasoline Engines” JSAE Paper 20015305 2001
- Baumgarten Geiger J. Wolters P. “Vehicle Application of a 4-Cylinder Tumble DISI Engine” SAE Technical Paper 2001-01-0735 2000
- Alger T. Hall M. Matthews R. “Effects of Swirl and Tumble on In-Cylinder Fuel Distribution in a Central Injected DISI Engine” SAE Technical Paper 2000-01-0533 2000
- Kim Y. Lee S. Cho N. “Effect of Air Motion on Fuel Spray Characteristics in a Gasoline Direct Injection Engine” SAE Technical Paper 1999-01-0177 1999
- Tatsuta H. Matsumura M. Yajima J. Nishide H. “Mixture Formation and Combustion Performance in a New Direct-Injection SI V-6 Engine” SAE Technical Paper 981435 1998
- Dognin C. Dupont A. Gastaldi P. “3D Simulation: A Powerful Tool to Understand Mixture Preparation and Combustion in Direct Injection SI Engines” Conference “Direkteinspritzung im Ottomotor” 2001
- Arcoumanis C. Hu Z. Vafidis C. Whitelaw J.H. “Tumbling motion: A mechanism for turbulence enhancement in spark-ignition engines” SAE Technical Paper 900060 1990
- Reuss D.L. “Cyclic Variability of Large-Scale Turbulent Structures in Directed and Undirected IC Engine Flows” SAE Technical Paper 2000-01-0246 2000
- Richter M. Axelsson B. Alden M. Josefsson G. Carlsson L.O. Dahlberg M. Nisbet J. Simonsen H. “Investigation of the Fuel Distribution and the In-cylinder Flow Field in a Stratified Charge Engine Using Laser Techniques and Comparison with CFD-Modelling” SAE Technical Paper 1999-01-3540 1999
- Raffel J. Willert C. Kompenhans J. “Particle Image Velocimetry - A Practical Guide” Springer 1998
- Gindele J. Spicher U. “Investigation of In-Cylinder Flow Inside IC Engines Using PIV with Endoscopic Optics” 9th Int. Symp. on Appl. of Laser Techniques to Fluid Mechanics Lisbon 1999