This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Diesel Spray and Adhering Fuel on an Impingement Wall
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published May 06, 2002 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Average concentration of a diesel impingement spray and characteristics of fuel adhering on a flat wall were investigated experimentally. Spray tip penetration and spray volume before and after impingement were measured on high speed photographs of the spray which was injected into a high pressure chamber of cold state. Further, the adhered fuel on the wall was directly measured by a precision balance. To clarify the characteristics of the impingement spray at various wall distances, pre-impingement spray and post-impingement spray were individually analyzed. Based on the entrainment air and fuel mass which was corrected by the adhered fuel, the air-fuel ratio was derived at various wall distances. As the results, the wall impingement of the diesel spray caused lean mixture spray concentration in comparison with the free spray. As the wall distance increased, the fuel film diameter to spray width ratio decreased. The air-fuel ratio on pre- and post-impingement spray was strongly affected by fuel mass according to elapsing time, that is, injection rate history. Also, spray concentration was considerably affected by the adhering fuel.
CitationKo, K. and Arai, M., "Diesel Spray and Adhering Fuel on an Impingement Wall," SAE Technical Paper 2002-01-1628, 2002, https://doi.org/10.4271/2002-01-1628.
- Suzuki M. Nishida Keiya Hiroyasu H. “Simultaneous Concentration Measurement of Vapor and Liquid in an Evaporating Diesel Spray” SAE paper, No. 930863 1 23 1993
- Tanabe H. Takahashi M. Sato G.T. Sato S. Onishi S. “Experimental Study on Unsteady Fuel Spray Impinging onto a Projection on a Wall” COMODIA94 379 384 1994
- Senda J. Kobayashi M. Iwashita S. Fujimoto H. “Modeling of Diesel Spray Impingement on a Flat Wall” SAE paper, No. 941894 1994
- Senda J. Kanda T. Ai-Roub M. Farrell P.V. Fukami T. Fujimoto H. “Modeling Spray Impingement Considering Fuel Film Formation on the Wall” SAE paper, No. 970047 37 51 1997
- Moller J. Chaves H. Obermeier F. “Fuel Deposition on Wall Impingement of a Spray” SAE paper, No. 961207 1996
- Saito A. Kawamura K. “Behavior of Fuel Film on a Wall at Fuel Spray Impinging” ICLASS-'97 54 61 1997
- Guerrassi N. Champoussin J. C. “Experimental Study and Modeling of Diesel Spray/Wall Impingement” SAE Paper No. 960864 133 142 1996
- Stanton Donald W. Rutland Christopher J. “Multi-Dimensional Modeling of Heat and Mass Transfer of Fuel Films Resulting from Impinging Spray” SAE Paper No. 980132 85 99 1998
- Lippert Andreas M. et al. “Investigation the Effect of Spray Targeting and Impingement on Diesel Engine Cold Start” SAE Paper No. 2000-01-0269 2000
- Rajalingam B. Farrell P. “The Effect of Injection Pressure on Air Entrainment into Transient Diesel Sprays” SAE Paper No. 1999-01-0523 1999
- Smallwood G.J. Gulder O.L. “Views on the Structure of Transient Diesel Sprays” Atomization and Sprays 10 3-5 355 386 2000
- Lee S.H. Ryou H.S. “Modeling of Spray-Wall Interactions Considering Liquid Film Formation” ICLASS-2000 2000
- Ko K. Momiyama T. Amagai K. Arai M. “Penetration and Volume of Post-Impingement Diesel Spray” ICLASS-2000 125 2000
- Ko K. Momiyama T. Amagai K. Arai M. “Effect of Impingement Distance on Penetration and Volume of Post-Impingement Diesel Spray” ISME2000 51 57 2000
- Ebara T. Amagai K. Arai M. “Penetration Model of a Diesel Spray along a Wall” COMODIA'98 423 428 1998