This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
A Comparison between Zero Steady State Compensators and Optimal Control Regulators in a 4WS vehicle
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published May 07, 2002 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
This paper discusses about a LQR controller as optimal regulator, which is suited for state variable regulation and tracking as a full state feed back controller, Zero side slip (ZSS) and zero yaw rate (ZYR) compensators. ZSS and ZYR are controllers that force the linear system to regulate the steady state response of side slip state variable (have linear relation with lateral velocity) and yaw rate state variable respectively in linear model. As dynamic models, a 2 DOF linear handling model with yaw rate and lateral velocity variables is used as controller model, and a 3 DOF nonlinear model with yaw rate, lateral velocity and roll variables and CALSPAN tire coefficients is proposed for simulations.
Results show that in spite of LQR controller, which yields suitable results in both linear and nonlinear models and both regulation and tracking strategies, zero steady state compensators (ZSS and ZYR) could not yield acceptable results in nonlinear model that simulates real response of vehicle; in addition not to have flexible nature (like LQR) to perform a multi purpose control strategies.
CitationSiahkalroudi, V. and Naraghi, M., "A Comparison between Zero Steady State Compensators and Optimal Control Regulators in a 4WS vehicle," SAE Technical Paper 2002-01-1591, 2002, https://doi.org/10.4271/2002-01-1591.
- Nalecz A.G. Bindemann A.C. “Handling Properties of Four-Wheel Steering Vehicles” SAE Paper, No. 890080
- Nalecz A.G. Bindemann A.C. “Investigation into the stability of four wheel steering vehicles” International Journal of Vehicle Design 9 2 1988 159 178
- Nalecz A.G. Bindemann A.C. “Analysis of the Dynamic Response of Four Wheel Steering Vehicles at High Speed” International Journal of Vehicle Design 9 2 1988 179 202
- Nagai M. Ohki M. “Theoretical Study on Active Four-Wheel-Steering System by Virtual Vehicle Model Following Control” International Journal of Vehicle Design 10 1 1989 16 33
- S. V.Nikzad Naraghi M. “Feedback Optimal Control of A 4WS Vehicle Using A Model Reference Tracker” Proceeding of ISME2001 477 484
- Ogata K. “Modern Control Engineering” Prentice-Hall INC. 1970
- Song G.J. Yoon Y.S. “Feedback Control of Four Wheel Steering Using Time Delay Control” International Journal of Vehicle Design 19 3 1998 282 298
- Furukawa Y. “A Review of Four-Wheel Steering Studies from the Viewpoint of Vehicle Dynamics and Control Vehicle System Dynamics 18 1989 151 186
- Palkovics L. “Effect of Controller Parameters on the Steerability of the Four Wheel Steered Car” Vehicle System Dynamics 21 1992 109 128
- Cho Y.H. Kim J. “Design of Optimal Four-Wheel Steering System” Vehicle System Dynamics 24 1995 661 682
- Whitehead J.C. “Four Wheel Steering: Maneuverability and High Speed Stabilization” SAE Paper, No. 880642
- Xia X. Law E.H. “Nonlinear Analysis of Closed Loop Driver Automobile Performance with Four Wheel Steering Control” SAE Paper, No. 920055
- S. V.Nikzad “Dynamic and Control Analysis of a 4WS Vehicle-A Comparison between Control Methods” AmirKabir University of Technology 2001