This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Time Delay Control of a 4WS Vehicle – A Comparison of Single and Dual Steering Control Strategies
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published May 07, 2002 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
A dual steering control, where steering angle of both rear and front wheels are controlled independently, and single rear steering control of a 4WS vehicle is studied. In this regard, a Time Delay Controller (here after called TDC) is proposed. The TDC performance is compared with the LQR optimal control method. Control schemes are based on the yaw and lateral velocity reference model following. A 3DOF linear vehicle model comprising yaw, lateral and roll motions is used to design the control laws. The time delay controller is a model reference tracker that estimates disturbances such as side wind, road irregularities and actual model nonlinearities, and considers them into the linear controller model.
Simulations based on steady state cornering and lane change maneuvers are presented. To establish the sufficient level of model complexity, a 3-DOF nonlinear simulation model comprising yaw, lateral and roll motions with CALSPAN tire coefficients is used.
CitationSiahkalroudi, V. and Naraghi, M., "Time Delay Control of a 4WS Vehicle – A Comparison of Single and Dual Steering Control Strategies," SAE Technical Paper 2002-01-1589, 2002, https://doi.org/10.4271/2002-01-1589.
- Nalecz A.G. Bindemann A.C. “Handling Properties of Four-Wheel Steering Vehicles” SAE Paper, No. 890080
- Nalecz A.G. Bindemann A.C. “Investigation into the stability of four wheel steering vehicles” International Journal of Vehicle Design 9 2 1988 159 178
- Nalecz A.G. Bindemann A.C. “Analysis of the Dynamic Response of Four Wheel Steering Vehicles at High Speed” International Journal of Vehicle Design 9 2 1988 179 202
- Toumi K.Y. Ito O. “A Time Delay Controller for Systems with Unknown Dynamics” Transactions of the ASME, Journal of Dynamic Systems Measurement and Control 112 1990 133 142
- Toumi K.Y. Ito O. “Model Reference Control Using Time Delay for Nonlinear Plants with Unknown Dynamics” Proceeding of International Federation of Automatic Control World Congress Munich, Federal Republic of Germany 1987 380 387
- Toumi K.Y. Ito O. “Controller Design for System with Unknown Nonlinear Dynamics” Final Report, NSF/ENG-88010 836 844
- Ogata K. “Modern Control Engineering” Prentice Hall Inc. 1977
- V.Nikzad S. “Dynamic and Control Analysis of a 4WS Vehicle-A Comparison between Control Methods” AmirKabir University of Technology 2001
- Soon G.J. Yoon Y.S. “Feedback Control of Four Wheel Steering Using Time Delay Control” International Journal of Vehicle Design 19 3 1998 282 298
- Toumi K.Y. Bobbett J. “Stability of Uncertain Linear Systems With Time Delay” Transactions of the ASME, Journal of Dynamic Systems Measurement and Control 113 1991 558 567
- Yeh E.C. Wu R.H. “Closed-Loop Design for Decoupling Control of a Four-Wheel Steering Vehicle” International Journal of Vehicle Design 1989 10 6 703 727
- Nagai M. Hirano Y. Yamanaka S. “Integrated Control of Active Rear Wheel Steering and Direct Yaw Moment Control” Vehicle System Dynamics 27 1997 357 370
- Samadi B. Nikravesh D. “Improvement of Vehicle Steering with Usage of Braking” 8th Annual Conference of Mechanical Engineers (In Persian) Sharif University of Technology 2000 131 138
- Furukawa Y. “A Review of Four-Wheel Steering Studies from the Viewpoint of Vehicle Dynamics and Control Vehicle System Dynamics 18 1989 151 186