This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Quarter Vehicle Ride Model
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published May 07, 2002 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
It is a challenge to design vehicle for good ride characteristics to the engineer, given the many design constraints. The vibration environment is a very important criterion by which people judge the design and construction “ride quality” of a car. It needs a quarter - vehicle mathematical model to describe the dynamic motions of a vehicle on the road.
In this paper, LaGrange Equation is used to derive the equations of motion. A state - space formulation is obtained by using state variables. And the characteristic equation, natural frequency and damping ratio are achieved. Through the analytical and numerical study on the ride quality of a quarter - vehicle (2 - DOF, 0 - dimension) model, the dynamic behavior of vehicle is represented by simulating the input, which is single-input-single-output (SISO) - output relationship. * The effects of mass ratio, stiffness ratio and damping coefficient ratio on the vibration of the sprung mass are researched.
|Technical Paper||4-DOF Vehicle Ride Model|
|Technical Paper||Experimental Study on Effect of Damper Lag on Motorcycle Ride Comfort|
|Technical Paper||A New Tool for the Vibration Engineer|
CitationSun, T., Zhang, Y., and Barak, P., "Quarter Vehicle Ride Model," SAE Technical Paper 2002-01-1581, 2002, https://doi.org/10.4271/2002-01-1581.
- Barak Pinhas “Magic Numbers in Design of Suspensions for Passenger Cars” SAE 911921
- Thomas D. Gillespie Fundamentals of vehicle Dynamics
- Barak Pinhas “Design and Evaluation of an Adjustable Automobile Suspension” SAE paper 890089 1989
- “Ride and Vibration Data Manual,” SAE J6a Society of Automotive Engineers Warrendale, PA December 1965
- Lecture notes unpublished in Vehicle Dynamics graduate class by Dr. Pinhas Barak