This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
The Influence of Tire Properties on the Stability of a Motorcycle in Straight Running and Curves
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published May 07, 2002 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
This paper presents a numerical analysis of the modal properties of a motorcycle, in both straight running and curves. In particular, the importance of tire on the stability of a sports motorcycle is dealt with.
The analysis was carried out using an eleven degrees of freedom model of a motorcycle, which describes both in-plane and out-of-plane dynamics. A detailed tire model, which takes into account both the geometrical and elastic properties of the tire carcass, was used. The properties of the tread rubber (like pneumatic trail and twisting torque) were considered, as well as the properties of the carcass (like size of cross section and carcass stiffness); their effects on natural frequency, damping ratio and modal vectors were analyzed.
Furthermore, this paper deals with the interactions between in-plane and out-of-plane modes during steady state cornering, regarding root-locus and modal vectors.
CitationCossalter, V., Lot, R., and Maggio, F., "The Influence of Tire Properties on the Stability of a Motorcycle in Straight Running and Curves," SAE Technical Paper 2002-01-1572, 2002, https://doi.org/10.4271/2002-01-1572.
- Sharp R. S. “The Stability and Control of Motorcycles” Journal of Mechanical Engineering Science 13 1971
- Sharp R. S. “The Influence of Frame Flexibility on The Lateral Stability of Motorcycles” Journal of Mechanical Engineering Science 16 1974
- Verma M. K. Scott R. A. Segel L. “Effect Of Frame Compliance on the Lateral Dynamics of Motorcycles” Vehicle System Dynamics 9 1980
- Sharp R. S. Alstead C. J. “The Influence of Structural Flexibilities on the Straight-Running Stability of Motorcycles” Vehicle System Dynamics 9 1980
- Spierings P.T.J “The Effect of Lateral Front Fork Flexibility on the Vibrational Modes of Straight-Running Single-Track Vehicles” Vehicle System Dynamics 10 1981
- de Vries E.J.H. Pacejka H.B. “The Effect of Tire Modelling on the Stability Analysis of a Motorcycle” proc. 4th intern. symp. on Advanced Vehicle Control Nagoya, Japan SAE Tokyo 1998
- Takahashi T. Yamada T. Nakamura T. “Experimental and Theoretical Study of the Influence of Tires Properties on straight-running weave response” SAE 840248 1984
- Sharp R.S. “The Lateral Dynamics of Motorcycles and Bicycles” Vehicle System Dynamics 14 1985
- Sharp R.S. “Design for Good Motorcycle Handling Qualities” SAE paper 972124 1997
- Koenen C. Pacejka H. B. “Vibrational Modes of Motorcycles in Curve” proc. Int. Motorcycle Safety Conf. Washington D.C. 1980
- Koenen C. Pacejka H. B. “Influence of Frame Elasticity, Simple Rider Body Dynamics and Tyre Moments on Free Vibrations of Motorcycles in Curves” proc. IAVSD Symposium 1982
- Cossalter V. Lot R. “A Motorcycle Multi-Body Model for Real Time Simulations Based on the Natural Coordinates Approach” Vehicle System Dynamics
- Maggio F. “Modi di Vibrare della Motocicletta: Accoppiameti tra Modi Laterali e Verticali” University of Padova 2001
- Bortoluzzi D. Doria A. Lot R. Fabbri L. “Experimental Investigation And Simulation Of Motorcycle Turning Performance” proc. 3rd Int. Motorrad-konferenzen Monaco 2000
- Cossalter V. Doria A. Lot R. “Steady Turning of two Wheel Vehicles” Vehicle System Dynamics 31 1999
- Berritta R. Cossalter V. Doria A. Lot R. “Implementation of a Motorcycle Tyre Model in a Multi-Body Code” Tire Technology International march 1999
- Sakay H. “Study on Cornering Properties of Tire and Vehicle” Tire Science and Technology 18 1990
- Pacejka H.B. Bakker E. “The Magic Formula Tyre Model” Vehicle System Dynamics 21 1991
- Pacejka H.B. Sharp R.S. “Shear Force Development by Pneumatic Tyres in Steady State Conditions: A Review of Modelling Aspects” Vehicle System Dynamics 20 1991
- Da Lio M. Doria A. Lot R. “A Spatial Mechanism for the Measurement of the Inertia Tensor: Theory and Experimental Results” ASME Journal of Dynamic Systems, Measurement and Control march 1999
- Berritta R. Cossalter V. Doria A. “Identification of The Lateral and Cornering Stiffness of Scooter Tyres using Impedance Measurements” proc. 2 nd International Conference on Identification in Engineering Systems Swansea, UK 1999
- Bartlett R. “Introduction to Sports Biomechanics” E&FN Spon London 1997
- Cossalter V. “Motorcycle Dynamics” 2001
- Guo K. Ren L. Hou Y. “A Non-Steady Tire Model for Vehicle Dynamic Simulation and Control” AVEC '98 number 9836851
- Maurice J.P. Pacejka H.B. “Relaxation Length Behaviour of Tyres” Vehicle System Dynamics Supplement 27 1997