This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Chassis Control System Development Using Simulation: Software in the Loop, Rapid Prototyping, and Hardware in the Loop
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published May 07, 2002 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
DaimlerChrysler Activity Vehicle Engineering uses simulation to reduce algorithm development time, prototype iterations, and improve quality in chassis control systems. This paper describes the methodology and process of using simulation in the form of Software in the Loop, Rapid Prototyping, and Hardware in the Loop in the development of chassis control systems. The heart of the Activity Vehicle chassis control simulation is a 14 DOF vehicle dynamics model, which was developed using Matlab/Simulink/Stateflow®. This vehicle dynamics model represents the virtual vehicle in the Software in the Loop and Hardware in the Loop development stages. Control algorithms are also developed in Matlab/Simulink/Stateflow® and downloaded directly to a dSPACE® Rapid Prototyping system or to the production module via autocode generation using Targetlink®.
- Quan-Zhong Yan - DaimlerChrysler: Activity Vehicle Platform, Mercedes-Benz Passenger Car Development, Virtual Prototyping Platform
- John M. Williams - DaimlerChrysler: Activity Vehicle Platform, Mercedes-Benz Passenger Car Development, Virtual Prototyping Platform
- Jim Li - DaimlerChrysler: Activity Vehicle Platform, Mercedes-Benz Passenger Car Development, Virtual Prototyping Platform
CitationYan, Q., Williams, J., and Li, J., "Chassis Control System Development Using Simulation: Software in the Loop, Rapid Prototyping, and Hardware in the Loop," SAE Technical Paper 2002-01-1565, 2002, https://doi.org/10.4271/2002-01-1565.
- Robert R. Ryan Ph.D. “Functional Virtual Prototyping Realization of “The Digital Car”” Mechanical Dynamics, Inc. 2301 Commonwealth Blvd.,Ann Arbor, Michigan, USA
- “Using HIL Simulation to Test Mechatronic Components in Automotive Engineering” Dipl.-Math. Lamberg Klaus Dipl.-Ing. Wältermann Peter dSPACE GmbH Paderborn “Mechatronik im Automobil” Haus der Technik Munich 15/16 Nov. 2000
- “Vehicle Dynamics Simulator” dSPACE GmbH: dSPACE Simulator, dSPACE Engine Simulator, dSPACE Product Information dSPACE GmbH Paderborn 2000 http://www.dspace.de/de/products/simulato.htm
- “Hrdware-in-the-Loop Simulation Testing and its Integration into a CACSD Toolset” Hanselmann Herbert dSPACE GmbH The IEEE International Symposium on Computer-Aided Control System Design September 15-18 1996 Dearborn, Michigan USA
- Gillespie Thomas D. Fundamentals of Vehicle Dynamics 1st SAE Society of Automotive Engineers Feb. 1992