This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Damage Tolerance of Honeycomb Sandwich Composite Panels
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 16, 2002 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
During this study, a number of 8.5-inch by 11.5-inch flat honeycomb sandwich panels were inflicted with low energy impact damage, inspected non-destructively, and tested for residual in-plane compressive strength. Each panel had either a 3/8-inch or 3/4-inch low density Nomex honeycomb core, and either 2-ply, 4-ply or 6-ply face sheets. The face sheets were either carbon or Eglass (prepreg) fabric. The panels were either clamped or simply supported in a test fixture during impact from a gravity assisted drop mechanism, and impacted with either a 1-inch or 3-inch diameter spherical indenter. After impact the damage to each panel was characterized by (1) ultrasonic through-transmission to obtain a c-scan representing planar damage area, (2) indentation volume and depth, and finally (3) visual inspection to rate the damage according to a predetermined rating scale. The panels were then tested for in-plane compressive strength. After data analysis, a number of conclusions were reached about the interaction of various parameters. The two most significant conclusions are: (1) residual strength correlates well with planar damage area (c-scan) and may decrease to 40-45% of virgin strength, and (2) visual inspection is unreliable for evaluating damage inflicted by blunt objects (3-inch spherical indentor).
CitationSmith, B., Tomblin, J., Raju, K., Liew, K. et al., "Damage Tolerance of Honeycomb Sandwich Composite Panels," SAE Technical Paper 2002-01-1537, 2002, https://doi.org/10.4271/2002-01-1537.
- Tomblin J. Lacy T. Smith B. Hooper S. Vizzini A. Lee S. “Review of Damage Tolerance for Composite Sandwich Airframe Structures,” Final Contract Report DOT/FAA/AR-99/49 August 1999
- Tomblin J.S. Raju K.S. Liew J. Smith B.L. “Impact Damage Characterization and Damage Tolerance of Composite Sandwich Airframe Structures,” Final Contract Report DOT/FAA/AR-00/44 January 2001
- Tomblin J.S. Raju K.S. Acosta J.F. Smith B.L. Romine N.A. “Damage Tolerance and Durability of Composite Sandwich Airframe Structures,” Final Contract Report DOT/FAA/AR-02/XX 2002
- Guarddon Juan Carlos “Damage Resistance and Tolerance Experiments on fiber Glass Sandwich Panels,” Aerospace Engineering Department, Wichita State University Wichita, KS July 2000
- Hin Joel Liew Kok “Damage Resistance and Tolerance of Honeycomb Sandwich Composites With Quasi-Isotropic Face Sheets,” M.S. Thesis Aerospace Engineering Department, Wichita State University Wichita, KS Summer 2000
- Haque A.K.M. Nondestructive Evaluation of Impact Damaged Composite Sandwich Panels,” Aerospace Engineering Department Wichita, KS Spring 2001
- Tomblin J. McKenna J. Ng Y. Raju K.S. “B-Basis Design Allowables for Epoxy-Based Prepreg Newport Eglass Fabric 70781/NB321,” AGATE-WP3.3-033051-097
- Tomblin J. McKenna J. Ng Y. Raju K.S. “B-Basis Design Allowables for Epoxy-Based Prepreg Newport Carbon Plain Weave Fabric 3K70P/NB321,” AGATE-WP3.3-033051-095