This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Edge Trimming of CFRP Composites with Diamond Coated Tools: Edge Wear and Surface Characteristics
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 16, 2002 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The work presented here illustrates the wear behavior of CVD diamond coated carbide tools during the machining of carbon fiber-reinforced composites. Cutting experiments were conducted on a CNC milling machine for edge trimming of a 9-mm thick multi-layered carbon fiber-reinforced epoxy laminate in a climb cutting configuration. The effects of feed speed and diamond film thickness on the wear behavior of the coated tools were determined. In addition, characteristics of the worn cutting edge were studied using optical and scanning electron microscopes. It was shown that diamond coated tools generally performed better than the uncoated tools under all conditions. Uniform wear by abrasion of the diamond film, without exposing the substrate, was obtained when cutting at low feed speeds with thicker coatings. At higher feed speeds the wear of the coated tools was characterized by abrasion through the diamond film and exposure and wear of the substrate. Surface roughness obtained with diamond coated tools was comparable to or lower than that of uncoated tools.
CitationSheikh-Ahmad, J. and Sridhar, G., "Edge Trimming of CFRP Composites with Diamond Coated Tools: Edge Wear and Surface Characteristics," SAE Technical Paper 2002-01-1526, 2002, https://doi.org/10.4271/2002-01-1526.
- Koplev A. Lystrup A. Vorm T. “The cutting process, chips, and cutting forces in machining CFRP,” Composites 14 1983 371 376
- Wang D. H. Ramulu M. Arola D. “Orthogonal cutting mechanics of graphite/epoxy composite. Part I: Unidirectional laminate,” International Journal of Machine Tools and Manufacture 35 12 1995 1623 1638
- Sadat A. B. “Delamination and other types of damage of graphite/epoxy composite caused by machining,” Machining of Advanced Materials, ASME 208 1995 41 52
- Masuda M. Kuroshima Y. Chujo Y. “Failure of tungsten carbide-cobalt alloys tools in machining of carbon materials,” Wear 169 1993 135 140
- Puw H. Y. Hocheng H. “Machinability test of carbon fiber reinforced plastics in milling,” Materials and Manufacturing Processes 8 6 1993 717 729
- Inspector A. Oles E.J. Bauer C.E. “Theory and practice in diamond coated metal cutting tools,” International Journal of Refractory Metals and Hard Materials 15 1997 49 56
- Spur G. Lachmund U. “Application and properties of diamond-coated carbide tools,” Proc. 1 st International Machining and Grinding Conference Dearborn, Michigan 1995
- Sheikh-Ahmad J. Morita T. “Tool coatings for wood machining,” Proc. of the 15 th Int'l Wood Machining Seminar Los Angeles, CA 2001 109 120
- An Sang-Ook Lee Eun-Sang Noh Sang-Lai “A study of the cutting characteristics of glass fiber reinforced plastics with respect to tool materials and geometries,” Journal of Materials Processing Technology 68 1997 60 67