This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Finite Element Topography and Shape Optimization of a Jounce Bumper Bracket
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 19, 2002 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
A case study of the application of topography and shape optimization techniques to the design of a jounce bumper bracket of a pick-up truck has been presented. First a sizing (gage) optimization was undertaken to redesign the jounce bumper bracket. Since the weight was not satisfactory it was decided to try shape optimization. A better solution was obtained. Topography optimization, a relatively new technique of bead formation, was then applied and a still better solution was obtained. All these options were presented to the designer to enable him to make a decision based on manufacturing and other constraints. Although all the three solutions seems to give good results the topography optimized jounce bracket results in the least weight, with the penalty of an additional manufacturing operation.
CitationKrishna, M., "Finite Element Topography and Shape Optimization of a Jounce Bumper Bracket," SAE Technical Paper 2002-01-1468, 2002, https://doi.org/10.4271/2002-01-1468.
- “Structural Optimization” Training Manual Altair Computing Inc. Troy 1994
- “Combination of Topology and Topography Optimization for sheet metal structures” Detlef Schneidert Erney Thomas Opticon 2000 Conference Proceedings October 26-27 2000 Newport Beach, CA, USA
- “The Topology Optimization at Volkswagen and its Introduction in the process of Engine Development” Meyer-Pruessner R,. Volkswagen AG Wolfsburg Opticon'99 Conference Proceedings October 14-15 1999 Newport Beach, CA, USA
- Bendsoe, M.P. Kikuchi, N “Generating Optimal Topologies in Structural Design Using a Homogenization Method” Computational Methods in Applied Mechanical Engineering 71 197 224 1988
- “Elements of Structural Optimization” Haftka, R.T. Kamat, M.P. Martinus Nijhoff Dordrecht. 1985