This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Crush Design/Analysis of Composite Vehicle Front End Structure
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 04, 2002 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Although the crush of composite tubes has been studied extensively in static and dynamic impacts, the mode of collapse and energy absorption data for the next level of automotive components, sub-structure, or structures have been limited. In this study design/analysis were conducted on glass/vinylester CSM and braided composite Ford-Escort front end. The investigation consists of energy assessments; crush strength prediction and mode of collapse for the lower and upper rails structure with apron. Component models for lower and upper rails were evaluated for design iteration using stability code COMPCOLLAPSE to determine the maximum and average crush loads. A sub-structure consisting of both rails and apron with and without foam were analyzed using nonlinear collapsible beam code VCRUSH. The result of the analysis showed good guidelines for design.
CitationMahmood, H., Wang, R., and Moosa, A., "Crush Design/Analysis of Composite Vehicle Front End Structure," SAE Technical Paper 2002-01-1299, 2002, https://doi.org/10.4271/2002-01-1299.
- Bonnett, R.E. et al. “Design of Structural Composites in a Lightweight Body Structure,” ACCE Conference Proceedings Dearborn, MI 75 86 Nov. 6-9 1995
- Botkin, M. Browne, A. Johnson, N. Fiden, S. Jeryan, R. Mahmood, H. Wang, R. Lalik, L. Peterson, D. “Development of a Composite Front Structure for Automotive Crashworthiness” 230 41 Crashworthiness, Occupant Protection and Biomechanics in Transportation System ASME 1998 95 114
- Browne, Alan Johnson, L. Nancy L. “Short Apron Drop Tests in Support of Automotive Composite Consortium Focal Project I” 237 45 Crashworthiness, Occupant Protection and Biomechanics in Transportation System ASME 1999 263 285
- Czaplicki, M. J. Thornton, P. H. Robertson, R. E. “Collapse triggering of polymer composite energy absorbing structures,” Proceedings of 4th Annual Conference on Advanced Composites Metals Park ASM/ESD 1988
- Doi, A. Douglas Jeryan, Richard A. Mahmood, Hikmat Akhtar, Junaid S. Stephens, Michael P. “Composite Impact Analysis of Racecars - Technology Transfer to Passenger Car Development” 1998 Motorsports Engineering conf. Proc., Vol. 1 Vehicle Design and Safety Dearborn MI Nov. 1998 303 311
- Hamada H. et al Hull, D. “Fabrication of Carbon/PEEK Composites Tubes and Their Energy Absorption Performance” Proceedings of the Ninth International Conference on Composite materials Madrid 12-16 July 1993
- Mahmood, H. F. Bhimaraddi, A. “Prediction of deep collapse strength characteristics of components made-up of E-glass/epoxy laminate,” Proceedings of the 9th Annual ASM/ESD Advanced Composites Conference Dearborn, Michigan November 8-11 1993
- Mahmood, H. F. Paluszny, A. “Design of thin walled columns for crash energy management - their strength and mode of collapse,” Proceeding of the Fourth International Conference on Vehicle Structural Mechanics, SAE No. 811302 November 18 1981
- Mahmood, H. F. Paluszny, A. Tang, X. D. “A 3-D computer program for crash worthiness analysis of vehicle structures composed of thin-walled beam components.” Proceedings, ASME Annual meeting San Francisco 79 141 153 1986
- Mahmood, H. F. Thornton P. H. Zhou, J. H. “Material strengths of glass fiber-reinforced epoxy laminates,” Proceedings of the 6th Annual ASM/ESD Advanced Composites Conference Detroit, Michigan, USA 8-11 October 1990
- Mahmood, H. F. Zhou, J. H. “Local buckling and maximum strength of plate type composite components,” Proceedings of the 4th Annual Conference on Advanced Composites Dearborn, Michigan, USA 13-15 September 1988
- Mahmood, H. F. Zhou, J. H. “Bending crush analysis of thin-walled composite components,” Frensic Engineering 2 3 403 414 1990
- Mahmood, H. F. Zhou, J. H. Lee, M. S. “Axial strength and mode of collapse of composite components,” Proceedings of the 7th International Conference on Vehicle Structural Mechanics Warrendale, Pennsylvania, USA SAE Paper No. 880891 April 1988
- Price, J. N. Hull, D. “Crush Behavior of Square Section Glass Fiber Polyester Tubes,” How to Apply Advanced Composites Technology ASM International 1988 53 61
- Thornton, P. H. Jeryan, R. A. “Crash Energy Management in Composite Automotive Structures” International Journal of Impact Engg. 7 167 1988
- Venkatesan, C. Regu, R. Boggs, P. “Analysis Support for the Design of a Composite Apron” Altair Report No. ACCI-003-01, Altair Engineering 1996