This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Continuously Produced Honeycomb Sandwich Materials for Automotive Applications
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 04, 2002 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Event: SAE 2002 World Congress & Exhibition Automotive and Transportation Technology Congress and Exposition
The demands for automotive interior and exterior panels request an optimal combination of materials and cost efficient production processes. Mechanical and acoustical requirements and a weight target result today often in the selection of a sandwich design with a cost efficient and recyclable core material. Two new cost efficient honeycomb materials and their continuous production processes have been developed at the K.U.Leuven. These materials and production methods enable an automated in-line production of paper and polypropylene (PP) based honeycombs for automotive sandwich panels and parts. The production concepts, possible material combinations and basic material properties for automotive sandwich parts are presented.
|Technical Paper||SANDWICH MATERIALS: Metal Faces Stabilized by Honeycomb Cores|
|Technical Paper||Critical Compression Loads on Aluminum Honeycomb Panels|
|Technical Paper||Thermoplastic Compression Molded Horizontal Automotive Panels|
- Jochen Pflug - Katholieke Universiteit Leuven, Department of Metallurgy and Materials Engineering
- Fan Xinyu - Katholieke Universiteit Leuven, Department of Metallurgy and Materials Engineering
- Jorn Lavalaye - Katholieke Universiteit Leuven, Department of Metallurgy and Materials Engineering
- Ignaas Verpoest - Katholieke Universiteit Leuven, Department of Metallurgy and Materials Engineering
- Philipp Bratfisch - Katholieke Universiteit Leuven, Division PMA
- Dirk Vandepitte - Katholieke Universiteit Leuven, Division PMA
CitationPflug, J., Xinyu, F., Lavalaye, J., Verpoest, I. et al., "Continuously Produced Honeycomb Sandwich Materials for Automotive Applications," SAE Technical Paper 2002-01-1272, 2002, https://doi.org/10.4271/2002-01-1272.
- Bitzer, T. N., “Recent Honeycomb Core Developments”, Proceedings of the 3. Sandwich Construction conference, Southampton 1995, page 555-563, edited by Allen H.G., 1996
- “Akylux”, Akyplac products technical information, Kaysersberg Packaging S.A. Plastics Division, Product information, Kaysersberg, 1998
- “Con-Pearl”, Con-Pearl friedola Gebr. Holzapfel GmbH, Product information, Thüringen Geismar, 2000
- Paul, R. and Klusmeier, W., Structhan® - A Composite with a Future, Status Report, Bayer AG, Leverkusen, 1997.
- Fell, B., “Continuous process for the preparation of honeycomb structural material and apparatus suitable for use therein”, Cecore, Hexcel Corporation, WO 97/16304 International patent publication, 1997
- Hering, G.K., “Method and device for joining sections of a thermoplastic continuous web material”, Versacore, Versacore Ind. Corp., WO 01/51273 International patent publication, 2001
- Ducruy, G., “Method for producing a honeycomb core in thermofusible material, and device for implementing same”, Hexacore, Sodesa S.A., WO 98/41388 International patent publication, 1998
- Kehl, A., “Self-contained honeycomb structure from flexible film strips and method for its production”, Wavecore, Wacotech/Tubus Bauer (ATS) AG, WO 01/00397 International patent publication, 2001
- Pflug, J. and Verpoest, I., “Thermoplastic folded honeycomb structure and method for the production thereof”, K.U.Leuven Research & Development, WO 00/32382 International patent publication, 2000
- Pflug, J. and Verpoest, I., “Folded honeycomb structure consisting of corrugated paperboard and method and machinery for producing the same”, K.U.Leuven Research & Development, WO 00/58080 International patent publication, 2000
- Pflug, J., Verpoest, I., Vandepitte, D., “Folded Honeycomb Cardboard and Core Material for Structural Applications”, Proceedings of the 5. Sandwich Construction conference, Zürich, 2000
- Pflug, J., Verpoest, I., Vandepitte, D., “Thermoplastic Folded Honeycomb Cores - Cost Efficient Production of All Thermoplastic Sandwich Panels”, paper 1531, Proceedings of ICCM 13, Beijing, 1999
- Åkermo, M., “Compression moulding of thermoplastic composite sandwich components”, Doctoral Thesis Report No. 99-04, Royal Institute of Technology Stockholm, 1999
- Nowacki, J., Mitschang, P., Neitzel, M., Lehner, E.A., and Hoecker, F., “Potenzial für Serienfertigung Thermoplastische Sandwich-Strukturbauteile in einem Schritt geformt”, KU Kunststoffe, Vol. 7, 2001, pp. 92-95.
- Eller, R., “End of Life Vehicle (ELV) concerns impact interior material substitution”, Automotive & Transportation Interiors, Vol. 9, 1999, pp. 218-232.