This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Simulation of Chatter Vibrations for Wiper Systems
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 04, 2002 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
An experimental investigation is first carried out to analyze the influence of the geometrical configuration of a wiper system on the chattering occurrence. The measurement results show a combined influence of the load applied on the rubber blade and the attack angle on the vibratory level of the blade. A mathematical four-degree of freedom model, based on the Sprag-slip theory, is developed to simulate the behavior of the rubber blade during the wiping motion. A dynamic analysis is then performed to define conditions for stable motion of the system. The comparison of these theoretical unstable configurations and the experimental chattering cases shows good correlation.
This theoretical survey points out necessary conditions for unstable motion, in terms of orientation of the rubber blade to the glass surface. Moreover, a two-parameter study on the stiffness of the mathematical model highlights the influence of the geometry of the rubber blade cross-section and the material properties on the instability results.
CitationGrenouillat, R. and Leblanc, C., "Simulation of Chatter Vibrations for Wiper Systems," SAE Technical Paper 2002-01-1239, 2002, https://doi.org/10.4271/2002-01-1239.
- Codfert, V. Sortais, J.L. “Wiper system dynamic behavior” SAE Papers, 970588 1997
- Codfert, V. “Modélisation globale d'un système d'essuyage” Université des Sciences et Technologies de Lille 1997
- Okura, S. Sekigushi, T. “Dynamic analysis of blade reversal behavior in a windshield wiper system” SAE Papers, 2001-01-0127 2000
- Goto, S. Takahashi, H. “Clarification of the mechanism of wiper blade squeal noise” JSAE Review 22 57 62 2001
- Sugita, H. Hiramitsu, T. “Chatter vibrations of wiper blades” Toyoda Gosei Technical Review 23 3 113 119 1981
- Suzuki, R. Yasuda, K. “Analysis of chatter vibrations in an automotive wiper assembly” JSME International Journal 41 3 616 620 1998
- Oden, J.T. Martins, J.A “Models and computational methods for dynamic friction phenomena” Computer Methods in Applied Mechanics and Engineering 52 1-3 527 634 1985
- Gao Chao et al “The dynamic analysis of stick-slip motion” Wear 173 1 12 1994
- Spurr, R. T. “A theory of brake squeal” Proc. Auto. Div., Instn. Mech. Eng. 1 33 40 1961-1962
- Earles, S. W. E. Lee, C. K. “Instabilities arising from the frictional interaction of a pin-disk system resulting in noise generation” Trans ASME, J. Engng Ind. 98 1 81 86 1976
- Earles, S. W. E. Badi, M. N. M. “Oscillatory instabilities generated in a double pin-disc undamped system: A mechanism of disc-brake squeal” Proc. Instn. Mech. Engrs 198C 4 43 50 1984
- Earles, S. W. E. Chambers, P. W. “Disc brake squeal noise generation: Predicting its dependency on system parameters including damping” Int. J. of Vehicle Design 8 4 5 6 1987
- Millner, N. “An analysis of disc-brake squeal” SAE Technical Papers Series 780332 1978
- Chambrette, P. “Stabilité des systèmes dynamiques avec frottement sec: Application au crissement des freins à disque” Ecole Centrale Lyon 91-48 1990
- Boudot, J. P. “Modélisation des bruits de freinage des véhicules industriels” Ecole Centrale de Lyon 95-08 1995
- Billot, P. “Simulation of aerodynamic uplift consequences on pressure repartition - application on an innovative wiper blade design” SAE Papers, 2001-01-1043 2001
- Meirovitch, L. “Elements of vibration analysis” Mac Graw Hill international Editions Second 1986