This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
FEA Studies on Axle System Dynamics
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 04, 2002 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Axle gear whine originates at the hypoid gearset, and can be amplified by the driveline system dynamics as well as the transfer paths into the vehicle. In addition to tremendous efforts in improving the gear quality, it is of some importance that optimized system dynamics be achieved so that the system sensitivity to the gear excitation can be greatly reduced. This methodology has been extensively utilized in American Axle through a combined numerical simulation (FEA) and testing approach.
This paper presents the FEA modeling techniques in studying axle system dynamics and the level of accuracy of the model that can be achieved in predicting forced system responses. The use of a driveline system model in the development of a design optimization for total system NVH performance is discussed. Examples are provided to demonstrate the effects of modal alignments and appropriate system tuning.
|Technical Paper||Variation Reduction of Axle System NVH|
|Technical Paper||Balancing Competing Design Imperatives to Achieve Overall Driveline NVH Performance Objectives|
|Technical Paper||NVH Robustness Design of Axle Systems|
CitationSun, Z., Steyer, G., and Ranek, M., "FEA Studies on Axle System Dynamics," SAE Technical Paper 2002-01-1190, 2002, https://doi.org/10.4271/2002-01-1190.
- Steyer G.C. 1987 Influence of Gear Dynamics on Gear Noise Proceedings of the National Conference on Noise Control Engineering 53 58
- Steyer G.C. Lim T.C. 1991 System Dynamics in Quiet Gear Design Proceedings of the 9 th International Modal Analysis Conference 999 1005
- Donley M.G. Lim T.C. Steyer G.C. 1992 Dynamic Analysis of Automotive Gearing Systems SAE Paper 920762
- Donley M.G. et al 1999 Modeling of a Driveline System Using a Building Block Approach SAE Paper 1999-01-1762
- Steyer G.C. 1987 Influence of Gear Train Dynamics on Gear Noise NOISE-CON 87 53 58
- I-DEAS Finite Element Analysis Manual Structural Dynamics Research Corporation Milford, Ohio