This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Application of Neural Networks for Prediction and Optimization of Exhaust Emissions in a H.D. Diesel Engine
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 04, 2002 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
A study of the feasibility of using engine operating parameters to predict and minimise exhaust emissions from a direct injection H.D. Diesel engine through the use of Neural Networks (NN) was conducted.
The objective is to create a mathematical tool that, learning from a large number of experimental data obtained under different operating conditions, is able to parametrize oxides of nitrogen (NOx) and particulate matter (PM) exhaust emissions as a function of engine operating parameters.
Once satisfactory NN predictive results were obtained, the tool was also used to simultaneously optimise several operating parameters for low exhaust emissions. The optimisation was based on a minimising process related to EURO IV standards regulations.
CitationDesantes, J., López, J., García, J., and Hernández, L., "Application of Neural Networks for Prediction and Optimization of Exhaust Emissions in a H.D. Diesel Engine," SAE Technical Paper 2002-01-1144, 2002, https://doi.org/10.4271/2002-01-1144.
Electronic Engine Controls 2002: Engine Control, Neural Networks and Non-Linear Systems
Number: SP-1689; Published: 2002-03-04
Number: SP-1689; Published: 2002-03-04
- Heywood. J. “Internal Combustion Engine Fundamentals” McGraw Hill, inc. New York 1988
- Benajes J. Molina S. García J.M. “Influence of Pre- and Post-Injection on the Performance and Pollutant Emissions in HD Diesel Engine” SAE Paper 2001-01-0526 2001
- Herzog, P.L. Buerguer L. Winklhofer E. Zelenka P. Caterllieri W. “NOx Reduction Strategies for Diesel Engines” SAE Paper 920470 1992
- Havenith C. Needham J.R. Nicol A.J. Such C.H. “Low Emission Heavy Duty Diesel Engine for Europe” SAE Paper 932959 1993
- Hiroyasu H. Kadota T. “Models for Combustion and Formation of Nitric Oxide and Soot in Direct Injection Engines” SAE Paper 760129 1976
- Desantes J.M. Lapuerta M. Salavert J.M. “Study on independent effects of diesel engine operating conditions on nitric oxide formation and emissions through schematical combustion simulation” Proc Inst Mech Engrs 210 71 80 1996
- Payri F. Desantes J.M. Lapuerta M.A. “Phenomenological model for calculating D.I. diesel engine performance and emissions” International Congress on Calcul scientifique et automobile Paris 1900
- Kyriatides S.C. Dent J.C. Mehta P.S. “Phenomenological diesel combustion model including smoke and NO emission” SAE Paper 860330 1986
- Lenz U. Schroeder D. “Artificial Intelligence for Combustion Engine Control” SAE Paper 960328 1996
- Traver M.L. Atkinson R.J. Atkinson C.M. “Neural Network-Based Engine Emissions Prediction Using In-Cylinder Combustion Pressure” SAE Paper 1999-01-1532 1999
- Thompson G.J. Atkinson C.M. Clark N.N. Long T.W. Hanzevack E. “Neural Network modelling of the emissions and performance of a heavy-duty diesel engine” Prc Instn Mech Engrs 214 2000
- Benajes J. Molina S. López J.J Hernández L. “Neural Network application for NOx prediction in Diesel engines” EAEC Congress Proceedings Bratislava 2001
- Bishop Ch.M. “Neural Networks for Pattern Recognition.” Clarendon Press Oxford 1995
- Duda, R.O. Hart, P. Stork, D.G. “Pattern Classification” John Wiley 2001
- Christian R. Knopf F. Jasmek A. Schindler W. “A New Method for the Filter Smoke Number Measurement with Improved Sensitivity. (In German)” MTZ 54 16 22 1993
- Ripley B.D. “Pattern Recognition and Neural Networks.” Cambridge Univ. Press 1996
- Van der Laar P. Heskes T. Gielen S. “Partial Retraining: A New Approach to Input Relevance Determination”
- Dürnholz G. Eifer G. Endres H. “Exhaust Gas Recirculation - A measure to reduce exhaust emissions of Diesel Engines” SAE Paper 920725 1992
- Desantes J.M. Arrègle J. Molina S. “Influence of the EGR Rate, Oxygen Concentration and Equivalent Fuel/Air Ratio on the Combustion Behaviour and Pollutant Emissions of a Heavy Duty Diesel Engine” SAE Paper 2000-01.1813 2000
- Dickey D. Ryan T.W. III Matheaus A.C “NOx Control in Heavy-Duty Diesel Engines - What is the limit?” SAE Paper 980174 1998
- Montgomery D.T. Reitz R.D “Optimization of Heavy-Duty Diesel Engine Operating Parameters Using A Response Surface Method” SAE Paper 2000-01-1962 2000
- Senecal P.K. Montgomery D.T. Reitz R.D. “A methodology for engine design using multidimensional modelling and genetic algorithms with validation trough experiments” Int J Engine Research 1 3 2000