This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Experimental Validation of a GDI Spray Model
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 04, 2002 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
A computational model and an experimental analysis have been performed to study the atomisation processes of hollow cone fuel sprays from a high pressure swirl injector for gasoline direct injection (GDI) engines.
The objective has been to obtain reliable simulations and better understood structure and evolution of the spray and its interaction with air the flow field.
The 3D computations are based on the KIVA 3 code in which basic spray sub models have been modified to simulate break-up phenomena and evaporation process.
Spray characteristics have been measured using a system, able to gather and to process spray images, including a CCD camera, a frame grabber and a pulsed sheet obtained by the second harmonic of Nd-YAG laser (wavelength 532 nm, width 12 ns, thickness 80 μm). The readout system has been triggered by a TTL signal synchronized with the start of injection. A digital image processing software has been used to analyse the collected pictures.
Computed and measured spray characteristics, such pre-spray and main-spray structure, tip penetration and break-up phenomena, have been compared, achieving good levels of agreement.
CitationAllocca, L., Bella, G., De Vita, A., and Di Angelo, L., "Experimental Validation of a GDI Spray Model," SAE Technical Paper 2002-01-1137, 2002, https://doi.org/10.4271/2002-01-1137.
- Pontoppidan M. Gaviali M. Bella G. Rocco V. “ Improvement of GDI Injector Optimisation Tools for Enhanced SI Engine Combustion Chamber Layout ” SAE Paper 980498
- Pontoppidan M. Gaviali M. Bella G. De Maio A. Rocco V. “ Experimental and Numerical Approach to Injection and Ignition Optimization of Lean GDI-Combustion Behavior ” SAE Paper 1999-01-0173
- Joh M. Huh K. Y. Noh S. H. Choi K. H. “ Numerical Prediction of Stratified Charge Distribution in a Gasoline Direct-Injection Engine-Parametric Studies ” SAE Paper 1999-01-0178
- Han Z. Parrish S. Farrel P.V. Reitz R. D. “ Modeling Atomization Processes of Pressure Swirl Hollow-Cone Fuel Sprays ” Atomization and Sprays 7 663 684 1997
- Ren W. N. Nally J. F. jr. “ Computations of Hollow-Cone Sprays from a Pressure-Swirl Injector ” SAE Paper 982610
- Fan L. Han L. Z. Reitz R. D. “ Modeling Fuel Preparation and Stratified Combustion in a Gasoline Direct Injection Engine ” SAE Paper 1999-01-0175
- De Vita Di Angelo L. Allocca L. Alfuso S. “ Spray Characteristics of High Pressure Injector for GDI Engines ” 9 th , International Symposium on Flow Visualization 2000 Aug. 22-26 2000 Edinburgh
- Chen J. L. Chen G. Wells M. Creehan J. “ Flows, Sprays, and Primary Atomisation of Gasoline Injectors ” ICE 25-4 ASME 1999
- Lefebre H. “ Atomization and Sprays ” Hemisphere 1989
- Schimidt D. P. Nouar I.N. Senecal P.K. Rutland C. J. Martin J. K. Reitz R.D. “ Pressure-Swirl Atomization in the Near Field ” SAE Paper 1999-01-0496
- Arcoumanis C. Gavais M. Argueyrolles B. Galz F. “ Modeling of Pressure-Swirl Atomizer for GDI Engines ” SAE Paper 1999-01-050
- Ibrahim E.A. Yang H. Q. Przekwas A. J. “ Modeling of Spray Droplets Deformation and Breakup ” AIAA J. Propulsion and Power 9 651 654 1993
- Amsden “ KIVA-3: A KIVA Program with Block- Structured Mesh for Complex Geometries ” Los Alamos National Laboratory 1993
- Rizt N. K. Lefebvre A. H. “ Internal Flow Characteristics of Simplex Swirl Atomizers ” AIAA J. Propulsion Power 1 183 1985
- Hiroyasu H. Kadota T. Arai M. “ Fuel Spray Characterization in Diesel Engines ” Combustion Modeling in Reciprocating Engines 369 408 Mattavi & Amann 1978
- Rocco V. “ Results of Quasy-Steady Evaporation Model Applied to Multi-Dimensional D.I. Diesel Combustion SimulationI ” SAE Paper 930017
- De Vita Di Angelo L. Allocca L. Alfuso S. “ Evolution of a High Pressure Spray from a Swirled Gasoline Injector ” ICE 2001 Sept. 23-27 Capri