This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
A Methodology for In-Cylinder Flow Field Evaluation in a Low Stroke-to-Bore SI Engine
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 04, 2002 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
This paper presents a methodology for the 3D CFD simulation of the intake and compression processes of four stroke internal combustion engines.The main feature of this approach is to provide very accurate initial conditions by means of a cost-effective initialization step. Calculations are applied to a low stroke-to-bore SI engine, operated at full load and maximum engine speed. It is demonstrated that initial conditions for this kind of engines have an important influence on flow field development, particularly in terms of mean velocities close to the firing TDC.
Simulation results are used to discuss the choice of a set of parameters for the flow field characterization of low stroke-to-bore engines, as well as to provide an insight into the flow patterns during the overlapping period.
CitationCantore, G., Fontanesi, S., Mattarelli, E., and Bianchi, G., "A Methodology for In-Cylinder Flow Field Evaluation in a Low Stroke-to-Bore SI Engine," SAE Technical Paper 2002-01-1119, 2002, https://doi.org/10.4271/2002-01-1119.
Modeling of SI Engines and Multi-Dimensional Engine Modeling
Number: SP-1702; Published: 2002-03-04
Number: SP-1702; Published: 2002-03-04
- Borghi M. Mattarelli E. Montorsi L. “CFD analysis of an intake plenum under actual engine operations” SAE Paper 2001-01-2512
- Pinchon P. Le Coz J. Henriot S. “An experimental and computational analysis of the flow field in a four-valve spark ignition engine - Focus on cycle-resolved turbulence” SAE Paper 900056
- Bopp S. Vafidis C. Whitelaw J. H. “The Effect of Engine Speed on the TDC Flowfield in a Motored Reciprocating Engine” SAE Paper 860023
- Liu S. L. Li Y. F. Lu M. “Prediction of tumble speed in the cylinder of the 4-valve spark ignition engines” SAE Paper 2000-01-0247
- Li Y. Zhao H. “Analysis of tumble and swirl motions in a four-valve spark ignition engine” SAE Paper 2001-01-3555 2001
- Kang Kern Y. Baek Je H. “Tumble flow and turbulence characteristics in a small four-valve engine” SAE Paper 960268 1996
- Fujii H. et al. “A study of in-cylinder gas flow in 4-valve engine based on 3-dimensional numerical simulations and LDV measurements” JSAE Review 10 4 5 12 1989
- Omori S. et al. “Effect of intake port flow pattern on the in-cylinder tumbling air flow in multi-valve S. I. engines” SAE Paper 910477 1991
- Arcoumanis C. Hu Z. Vafidis C. Whitelaw J. H. “Tumbling motion: a mechanism for turbulence enhancement in sparlk ignition engines” SAE Paper 900060 1990
- Bianchi G. M. Cantore G. Nicolini D. Sassi L. Fraboni L. “Numerical analysis of the influence of the stroke-to-bore ratio on tumble breakdown” Proceedings of the 4 th International Conference ICE September 1998
- Cantore G. Bianchi G. M. Guerrini G. Papetti F. “Multidimensional modelling of in-cylinder flows and combustion of a four valve S. I. Competition engine” Proceedings of the 3 rd International Conference ICE September 1997
- Filipi Z. S. Assanis D. M. “On determining the optimum stroke-to-bore ratio for spark ignition engine of given displacement” Proceedings CSAT 1996
- Hadded O. Denbratt I. “Turbulence characteristics of tumbling air motion in four-valve S. I. Engines and their correlation with combustion parameters” SAE Paper 910478 1991
- Lancaster D. R. Krieger R. B. Sorenson S. C. Hull W. L. “Effects of Turbulence on Spark-Ignition Engine Combustion” Research Labs., General Motors Corp. Mechanical Engineering Dept.,University of Illinois
- Evans R. L. Tippett E. C. “The Effects of Squish Motion on the Burn-Rate and Performance of a Spark-Ignition Engine” CGA NGV R&D Advisory Group Meeting Mississauga, Ont. Sept. 1990
- Kent J. C. et al. “Observations on the effects of intake-generated swirl and tumble on combustion duration” SAE Paper 890296 1989
- Ando H. et al. “TDC flow field structure of two-intake-valve engines with pentroof combustion chamber” JSME International Journal 36 4 688 696 1993
- Alkidas A. C. et al. “The effects of intake-flow configuration on the heat release and heat transfer characteristics of a single-cylinder four-valve S. I. engine” SAE Paper 910296 1991
- Kudou H. “A study about in-cylinder flow and combustion in a 4-valve S. I. engine” SAE Paper 920574 1992
- Brehm C. Sassi L. Vafidis C. Whitelaw J. H. “Air and Fuel Characteristics in the Intake Port of a SI Engine” SAE Paper 1999-01-1491 1999
- STAR-CD advertising material Mechanical Engineering 116 12 33 36 1994