This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
The Effects of Oil-Derived Poisons on Three-Way Catalyst Performance
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 04, 2002 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Two major deactivation mechanisms of automotive catalysts during road usage are:
- 1.thermal aging
- 2.poison accumulation of oil-derived poisons such as zinc and phosphorus.
A dynamometer-based aging cycle, incorporating a high-temperature low-poison mode to account for thermal aging followed by a low-temperature high-poison mode to account for poison accumulation, has been developed to allow the examination of catalyst formulations after exposure to both a harsh thermal and chemical aging environment. This type of aging cycle results in dynamometer-aged catalysts that are physically much more similar to road-aged catalysts than thermally-based dynamometer cycles. Using this aging-cycle, Pd-only, Pd-Rh and Pt-Rh light-off catalysts were examined. The Pd-Rh catalyst gave the best overall performance, with equivalent HC light-off performance to the Pd-only catalyst and equivalent NOx performance to the Pt-Rh catalyst.
CitationLafyatis, D., Petrow, R., and Bennett, C., "The Effects of Oil-Derived Poisons on Three-Way Catalyst Performance," SAE Technical Paper 2002-01-1093, 2002, https://doi.org/10.4271/2002-01-1093.
- Andersen P. Rieck J. SAE Paper No. 970739 1997
- Hu Z. Heck R. SAE Paper No. 950254 1995
- Andersen P. Ballinger T. SAE Paper No. 1999-01-0308 1999
- Nagashima K. Zhang G. Hirota T. Muraki H. SAE Paper No. 2000-01-1954 2000
- Thoss J. Rieck J. Bennett C. SAE Paper No. 970737 1997
- Lafyatis D. Bennett C. Hales M. Morris D. Cox J. Rajaram R. SAE Paper No. 1999-01-0309 1999
- Yao H. Yu J. J. Catal. 36 1975 266
- Summers J. Baron K, J. Catal. 53 1979 380
- Darr S. Choksi R. Hubbard C. Johnson M. McCabe R. SAE Paper No. 2000-01-1881 2000
- Rokosz M. Chen A. Lowe-Ma C. Kucherov A. Benson D. Paputa Peck M. McCabe R. App. Cat. B. 33 2001 205
- Rokosz M. Chen A. Lowe-Ma C. Kucherov A. Benson D. Paputa Peck M. McCabe R. North American Catalysis Meeting 2001 145
- Ball D. Mohammed A. Schmidt W. SAE Paper No. 972846 1997
- Williamson W. Perry J. Gandhi H. Bomback J. App. Cat. 15 1985 277
- Williamson W. Perry J. Goss R. Gandhi H. Beason R. SAE Paper No. 841406 1984