This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Development of a Hydrogen Engine for a Hybrid Electric Bus
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 04, 2002 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
A report is given about the development of hydrogen-fueled spark-ignition V-8, used to drive a generator in a hybrid bus. This application is a parallel hybrid, so the engine is applied at constant speed. Various modifications include the application of electronic engine control, tuned exhaust and intake headers, and the design of the cam are noted in the paper. In a portion of the work, water injection was applied to boost performance levels. Some operational data for the engine are given.
|Technical Paper||Operation of a Hydrogen-Powered Hybrid Electric Bus|
|Technical Paper||Hydrogen Fueled Engines in Hybrid Vehicles|
|Technical Paper||The Dynamixer - A Natural-Gas Carburettor System for Lean-Burn Vehicle Engines|
CitationFiene, J., Braithwaite, T., Boehm, R., Baghzouz, Y. et al., "Development of a Hydrogen Engine for a Hybrid Electric Bus," SAE Technical Paper 2002-01-1085, 2002, https://doi.org/10.4271/2002-01-1085.
- Mathur H. B. and Das L. M., “Performance Characteristics of a Hydrogen Fuelled S.I. Engine using Timed Manifold Injection,” INTERNATIONAL JOURNAL OF HYDROGEN ENERGY, 16, pp. 115-127, 1991.
- Morimoto Kenji, Teramoto T., and Takamori Y., “Combustion Characteristics in Hydrogen Fueled Rotary Engine,” SAE Paper 920302, 1992.
- Shudo Toshio, Nakajima Y., and Futakuchi T., “Analysis of Thermal Efficiency in a Hydrogen Premixed Spark Ignition Engine,” PROCEEDINGS OF THE ASME ADVANCED ENERGY SYSTEM DIVISION, AES-Vol. 39, ASME, pp. 351-354, 1999.
- Shudo Toshio, Nakajima Y., and Futakuchi T., “Thermal Efficiency Analysis in a Hydrogen Premixed Combustion Engine,” JSAE REVIEW, 21, pp. 177-182, 2000.
- Yamin J. A. A., Gupta H. N., Bansal B. B., and Srivastava O. N., “Effect of Combustion Duration on the Performance and Emission Characteristics of a Spark Ignition Engine using Hydrogen as a Fuel,” INTERNATIONAL JOURNAL OF HYDROGEN ENERGY, 25, pp. 581-589, 2000.
- Naber J. D. and Sieber D. L., “Hydrogen Combustion under Diesel Engine Conditions,” INTERNATIONAL JOURNAL OF HYDROGEN ENERGY, 23, pp. 363-371,1998.
- Knorr H., Held W., Prumm W., and Rudiger H., “The MAN Hydrogen Propulsion System for City Buses,” INTERNATIONAL JOURNAL OF HYDROGEN ENERGY, 23, pp. 201-208, 1998.
- Van Blarigan P. and Keller J. O., “A Hydrogen Fuelled Internal Combustion Engine Designed for Single Speed/Power Operation,” INTERNATIONAL JOURNAL OF HYDROGEN ENERGY, 23, pp. 603-609, 1998.
- Glasson N. D. and Green R. K., “Performance of a Spark-Ignition Engine Fuelled with Hydrogen using a High-Pressure Injector,” INTERNATIONAL JOURNAL OF HYDROGEN ENERGY, 19, pp. 917-923, 1994.
- Das L. M., “Fuel Injection Techniques for a Hydrogen Operated Engine,” INTERNATIONAL JOURNAL OF HYDROGEN ENERGY, 15, pp. 833-842, 1990.
- Das L. M., Gulati R., Gupta P. K., “Performance Evaluation of a Hydrogen-Fueled Spark Ignition Engine using Electronically Controlled Solenoid-Actuated Injection System,” INTERNATIONAL JOURNAL OF HYDROGEN ENERGY, 25, pp. 569-579, 2000.
- Das L. M., Gulati R., Gupta P. K., “A Comparative Evaluation of the Performance Characteristics of a Spark Ignition Engine using Hydrogen and Compressed Natural Gas as Alternative Fuels,” INTERNATIONAL JOURNAL OF HYDROGEN ENERGY, 25, pp. 783-793, 2000.
- Heffel James W., McClanahan Michael N., and Norbeck Joseph M., “Electronic Fuel Injection for Hydrogen Fueled Internal Combustion Engines,” SAE Paper 981924, 1998.
- Guo L. S., Lu H. B., and Li J. D., “A Hydrogen Injection System with Solenoid Valves for a Four Cylinder Hydrogen-Fuelled Engine,” INTERNATIONAL JOURNAL OF HYDROGEN ENERGY, 24, pp. 377-382, 1999.
- Billings Roger E., THE HYDROGEN WORLDVIEW, 2nd Edition, International Academy of Science, 2000.