This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Prediction of Draw Bead Coefficient of Friction Using Surface Temperature
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 04, 2002 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
Sheet metal stamping involves a system of complex tribological (friction, lubrication, and wear), heat transfer, and material strain interactions. Accurate coefficient of friction, strain, and lubrication regime data is required to allow proper modeling of the various sheet stamping processes. In addition, non-intrusive means of monitoring the coefficient of friction in production stamping operations would be of assistance for efficiently maintaining proper stamping quality and to indicate when adjustments to the various stamping parameters, including maintenance, would be advantageous.
One of the key sub-systems of the sheet metal stamping process is the draw bead. This paper presents an investigation of the tribology of the draw bead using a Draw Bead Simulator (DBS) Machine and automotive zinc-coated sheet steels. The investigation and findings include:
- 1)A new, non-intrusive method of measuring the surface temperature of the sheet steel as it passes through the draw bead. (The method can be used in experimental or in production environments.)
- 2)The temperature rise of the surfaces are shown to correlate with the measured coefficient of friction.
- 3)The lubrication regime is shown to be “Boundary Lubrication” in the draw bead for sheet speeds even in excess of typical production speeds.
CitationCarlson, W. and Barber, G., "Prediction of Draw Bead Coefficient of Friction Using Surface Temperature," SAE Technical Paper 2002-01-1059, 2002, https://doi.org/10.4271/2002-01-1059.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|Unnamed Dataset 1|
|Unnamed Dataset 2|
|Unnamed Dataset 3|
|Unnamed Dataset 4|
|Unnamed Dataset 5|
- Nihill T. J. White J. L. “Thermograph - An Aid to Press Shop Process Control” Proceedings of the 15 th Biennial Congress of the International Deep Drawing Research Group (IDDRG), Controlling Sheet Metal Forming Processes Dearborn, Michigan, USA May 16-18 1988 17 24
- Sanchez L. R. “Experimental Investigation of Friction Effects Enhanced by Tool Geometry and Forming Method on Plane Strain Sheet Metal Forming” ASME/STLE Tribology Conference American Society of Mechanical Engineers (ASME) and Society of Tribologist and Lubrication Engineers (STLE) Toronto, Ontario, Canada October 26-28 1998
- Xu S. G. Bohn M. L. Weinmann K. J. “Drawbeads in Sheet Metal Stamping-A Review” SAE Paper 970986 1997 233 247
- Nine H. D. “Drawbead Forces in Sheet Metal Forming” Mechanics of Sheet Metal Forming: Behavior and Deformation Analysis Koistinen D. P. Wang N. M. New York, NY Plenum Press 1978 179 211
- Nine H. D. “The Applicability of Coulomb's Friction Law to Drawbeads in Sheet Metal Forming” American Society of Metals Journal of Applied Metalworking 2 3 1982 200 210
- Sanchez L. R. “Characterization of a Measurement System for Reproducible Friction Testing on Sheet Metal Under plane Strain” Journal of Tribology International 32 10 March 2000 575 586
- Auto/Steel Partnership (A/SP) http://www.a-sp.org A/SP Procedures for Testing Characteristics of Automotive Sheet Steel Lubricants “Drawbead Simulator (DBS) Testing” June 5 1999
- Schey J. A. Smith M. K. “Report of NADDRG Friction Committee on Reproducibility of Friction Tests Within and Between Laboratories” North American Deep Drawing Research Group SAE Paper 930811 1993 261 267
- Schey J. A. McLean M. “Critical Evaluation of Test Methods for Sheet Metalworking Lubrication” Proceedings of the American Society of Mechanical Engineers (ASME), Materials Division, Friction and Material Characterizations 10 ASME 1988 25 32
- Schey J. A. “Geometric Factors Affecting Results from the Drawbead Simulation (DBS) Test” Lubrication Engineering 50 3 March 1994 255 260
- Dalton G. M. Schey J. A. “Effects of Bead Surface Preparation on Friction in the Drawbead Test” SAE Paper 91-511 1991 29 39
- Carlson W. D. “Draw Bead Simulator Tribology With Correlation of Surface Temperatures and Coefficient of Friction” Oakland University Rochester, Michigan December 2000
- Schey J. A. “Speed Effects in Drawbead Simulation” Journal of Material Processing Technology 57 1996 146 154
- Zhang Z. T. Hu S. J. “Stress and Residual Stress Distribution in Plane Strain Bending” International Journal of Mechanical Sciences 40 6 1998 533 543
- Hutchings I. M. Tribology: Friction and Wear of Engineering Materials CRC Press, Inc. 1992 55