This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Fast Start-Up On-Board Gasoline Reformer for Near Zero Emissions in Spark-Ignition Engines
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 04, 2002 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
This paper describes recent progress in our program to develop a gasoline-fueled vehicle with an on-board reformer to provide near-zero tailpipe emissions. An on-board reformer converts gasoline (or another hydrocarbon-containing fuel) into reformate, containing hydrogen (H2) and carbon monoxide (CO). Reformate has very wide combustion limits to enable SI engine operation under very dilute conditions (either ultra-lean or with heavy exhaust gas recirculation (EGR) concentrations). In previous publications, we have presented engine dynamometer results showing very low emissions with bottled reformate. This paper shows results from an engine linked to an experimental, fast start-up reformer. We present both performance data for the reformer as well as engine emissions and performance results. Program results continue to show an on-board reforming system to be an attractive option for providing near-zero tailpipe emissions to meet low emission standards.
CitationKirwan, J., Quader, A., and Grieve, M., "Fast Start-Up On-Board Gasoline Reformer for Near Zero Emissions in Spark-Ignition Engines," SAE Technical Paper 2002-01-1011, 2002, https://doi.org/10.4271/2002-01-1011.
- Kitagawa, H. Mibe, T. Okamatsu, K. Yasui, Y. “Design of L4 Engine for Super Ultra Low Emission Vehicle” SAE Paper 2000-01-0887 Society of Automotive Engineers March 2000
- Nishizawa, K. Momoshima, S. Koga, M. Tsuchida, H. Yamamoto, S. “Development of New Technologies Targeting Zero Emissions for Gasoline Engines” SAE Paper 2000-01-0890 Society of Automotive Engineers March 2000
- Masaki, U. Akazaki, S. Yasui, Y. Iwaki, Y. “A Quick Warm-up System during Engine Start-up Period Using Adaptive Control of Intake Air and Ignition Timing” SAE Paper 2000-01-0551 Society of Automotive Engineers March 2000
- Nishizawa, K. Mitsuishi, S. Mori, K. Yamamoto, S. “Development of Second Generation Gasoline P-ZEV Technology” SAE Paper 2001-01-1310 Society of Automotive Engineers March 2001
- Breshears, R. Cotrill, H. Rupe, J. “Partial Hydrogen Injection into Internal Combustion Engines - Effect on Emissions and Fuel Economy” First Symposium on Low Pollution Power Systems Development Ann Arbor, MI 1973
- Houseman, J. Cerini, D. J. “On-Board Hydrogen Generator for a Partial Hydrogen Injection Internal Combustion Engine” SAE paper 740600 Society of Automotive Engineers 1974
- Houseman, J. Hoehn, F. W. “A Two-Charge Engine Concept: Hydrogen Enrichment” SAE paper 741169 Society of Automotive Engineers 1974
- Jamal, Y. Wyszynski, M. L. “On-Board Generation of Hydrogen-Rich Gaseous Fuels - A Review,” International Journal of Hydrogen Energy 19 7 557 572 Elsevier Science 1994
- Kirwan, J. E. Quader, A. A. Grieve, M. J. “An On-Board Gasoline Reforming System for Meeting SULEV Emissions Requirements in a Spark-Ignition Engine” Proceedings of the Global Powertrain Congress Detroit, Michigan June 2000
- Kirwan, J. E. Quader, A. A. Grieve, M. J. “Advanced Engine Management Using On-Board Gasoline Partial Oxidation Reforming for Meeting Super-ULEV (SULEV) Emissions Standards” SAE Trans. Paper 1999-01-2927 Society of Automotive Engineers August 1999
- Grieve, M. J. Kirwan, J. E. Quader, A. A. “Integration of a Small On-board Reformer to a Conventional Gasoline Internal Combustion Engine System to Enable a Practical and Robust Nearly-zero Emission Vehicle” Proceedings of the Global Powertrain Congress Stuttgart, Germany October 1999
- Grieve, M. J. “Hydrogen Leveraging for Near Zero Emission Vehicles with Conventional or Mild Hybrid Powertrains and Gasoline Fuel” Proceedings of the Global Powertrain Congress Detroit, Michigan October 1998
- Kirwan, J. E. Quader, A. A. Grieve, M. J. “Development of a Fast Start-up On-Board Gasoline Reformer for Near Zero Emissions in Spark-Ignition Engines,” Proceedings of the 10 th Aachen Colloquium on Automobile and Engine Technology (Aachener Kolloquium Fahrzeung- und Motorentechnik) 8-10 October 2001