This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Influence of Mixture Formation on Injection and Combustion Characteristics in a Compact GDI Engine
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 04, 2002 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The spray characteristics are determining factors for the quality of mixture formation respectively for the combustion, when applying GDI. Their variation with load and speed is a basic criterion for the adaptability of an injection system type to an engine with known requirements. CFD models of the fluid flow dynamics, mixture formation and combustion are a determining condition for such adaptation. The paper presents the development results of a GDI four-stroke, four-valve, single cylinder engine. The pressure pulse injection system involved in this application is analyzed and presented from the fluid-dynamic behavior up to the obtained injection spray characteristics.
The mixture formation and combustion processes are simulated for different load and speed values, respectively for favorable combinations of parameters, such as the injection system configuration, the opening pressure of the applied mechanical injector and the injection duration.
Particular aspects of the combustion when using GDI, such as non-homogeneity of the mixture structure, super position of mixture formation and combustion and the influence of additional spark sources form an object of analysis. The results of numerical simulation are compared with the experimental results.
- C. Stan - West Saxon University of Zwickau
- A. Stanciu - West Saxon University of Zwickau
- R. Troeger - West Saxon University of Zwickau
- L. Martorano - Universita degli Studi di Pisa
- C. Tarantino - Universita degli Studi di Pisa
- M. Antonelli - Universita degli Studi di Pisa
- R. Lensi - Universita degli Studi di Pisa
CitationStan, C., Stanciu, A., Troeger, R., Martorano, L. et al., "Influence of Mixture Formation on Injection and Combustion Characteristics in a Compact GDI Engine," SAE Technical Paper 2002-01-0997, 2002, https://doi.org/10.4271/2002-01-0997.
- Stan, C. Direct Injection Systems for Spark Ignition and Compression Ignition Engines SAE 2000 0-7680-0610-4 SAE Order Nr.: R-280
- Stan, C. Tröger, R. Günther, S. Stanciu, A. Martorano, L. Tarantino, C. Lensi, R. Internal Mixture Formation and Combustion - from Gasoline to Ethanol SAE Paper 2001-01-1207
- Stan, C. Lebrun, M. Concept of interactive development of a GDI system with high-pressure modulation SAE Paper 2000-01-1042
- Stan, C. Martorano, L. Stanciu, A. Tarantino, C. Mixing Processes when Injecting Regenerative Fuels into Gasoline Direct Injection Engines Proceedings - International Conference “Gasoline Direct Injection III” 27 28 June 2001 Koeln, Germany 3-8169-2014-4
- AMESim ( A dvanced M odeling E nvironment for Simulation) v3.5, User Manual, Société IMAGINE 5 rue Brison, 42300 Roanne, France
- FIRE release 7.3 AVL List GmbH Austria
- VECTIS release 3.5 Ricardo Software Illinois, USA 2001
- Stan, C. Future Trends in Spark Ignition Engines SAE_NA Paper 2001-01-085 SAE_NA International Conference “Internal Combustion Engines” 23 27 Sept. 2001 Capri, Italy
- Tatschl, R. Kuensberg Sarre, C. Preisching, P. Riediger, H. Multidimensional Simulation of Mixture Formation and Combustion in a Gasoline Direct Injection Engine, Grazer Congress “Der Arbeitsprozess des Verbrennungsmotors” 18 19 Oct. 1999
- Stan, C. Experimental Analysis of the Fuel Spray Characteristics for DI High Speed Engined Using a Ram Tuned Injection System SAE Paper 972742
- Grimaldi, C.N. Postrioti, L. Stan., C Troeger, R. Analysis Method for the Spray Characteristics of a GDI System with High Pressure Modulation SAE Paper 2000-01-1043
- Robart, D. Kneer, R. Lai, M.,C. Application of a High temporal laser Diffraction technique to the Characterization of Gasoline Direct Injection Sprays Proceedings - International Conference “Gasoline Direct Injection III” 27 28 June 2001 Koeln, Germany 3-8169-2014-4
- Stan, C. Stanciu, A. Guenther, S. Martorano, L. Tarantino, C. Antonelli, M. Direct Injection Application on a Four-Stroke Motorcycle Engine SAE Paper 2001-01-1818/4238 SETC - Small Engine Technology Conference & Exhibition 28 30 November 2001 Pisa, Italy
- Davy, M., H. Williams, P., A.. Spray Characteristics of Pressure-Swirl Atomizers and Implication for Engine Performance Proceedings - International Conference “Gasoline Direct Injection III” 27 28 June 2001 Koeln, Germany 3-8169-2014-4
- VECTIS Computational fluid dynamics, Theory manual, Release 3.5 Ricardo Software Illinois, USA 2001
- FIRE User Manual v7.3 AVL List GmbH Austria
- Durst, B. Thamas, J. Goerg, K-A. 2000
- Craika, V. Krammer, J. Tatschl, R. Weissbacher, B. An integrated 1D / 3D Workflow for Analysis and Optimization of Injection Parameters of a Diesel Engine SAE_NA Paper 2001-01-004 SAE_NA International Conference “Internal Combustion Engines” 23 27 Sept. 2001 Capri, Italy
- Stan, C Troeger, R. Stanciu. A. Correlation Concept between Mixture Formation and Ignition Applied to a GDI High Speed Engine SAE Paper 2002-01-0833
- Ghandi, J.,B. Probst, D. McGuire, B. Mixing Issues in Gasoline Direct-Injection Engines Proceedings - International Conference “Gasoline Direct Injection III” 27 28 June 2001 Koeln, Germany 3-8169-2014-4
- Wallesten, J. Modeling of combustion in a DI SI Engine Using a Turbulent Flame Speed Closure Model AVL-User Meeting 2001 24 25 Sept 2001 Graz, Austria
- Tatschl, R. Riediger, H. Kuensberg-Sarre, C.V. Putz, N. Kickinger, F. AVL List GmbH Austria Rapid Meshing and Advanced Physical Modeling for Gasoline DI Application International Multidimensional Engine Modeling User's Group Meeting at the SAE Congress 5 th March 2000 Detroit, USA
- FIRE User Manual v7.3 Combustion - Theory AVL List GmbH Austria
- VECTIS User Guide, Release 3.5 Ricardo Software Illinois, USA 2001