This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Dual Purpose Fuzzy Logic Controller for an Active Suspension System
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 04, 2002 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The use of a fuzzy logic controller for an active suspension system on a wheeled vehicle is investigated. Addressing the opposing goals of ride quality and bump stop avoidance are integrated into one control algorithm. Construction of the fuzzy rules base will be discussed comprehensively along with the membership function setup for both the input and output variables. Numerous quarter-car simulation comparisons will be performed of the fuzzy controller versus the standard skyhook damper controller. The comparisons will include a variety of terrain inputs. Laboratory testing of the fuzzy controller on a single wheel station system is also included.
- J. R. Mock - The University of Texas at Austin Center for Electromechanics
- D. A. Weeks - The University of Texas at Austin Center for Electromechanics
- J. H. Beno - The University of Texas at Austin Center for Electromechanics
- S. P. Nichols - The University of Texas at Austin Center for Electromechanics
- D. A. Bresie - The University of Texas at Austin Center for Electromechanics
- A. M. Guenin - The University of Texas at Austin Center for Electromechanics
CitationMock, J., Weeks, D., Beno, J., Nichols, S. et al., "Dual Purpose Fuzzy Logic Controller for an Active Suspension System," SAE Technical Paper 2002-01-0986, 2002, https://doi.org/10.4271/2002-01-0986.
- Al-Holou, Nizar. Weaver, Jonathon. Lahdhiri, Tarek. Joo, Dae Sung 1999 Sliding Mode-based Fuzzy Controller for a Vehicle Suspension System Proceedings of the American Control Conference 6 4188 4192
- Barr, Andrew J. Ray, Jeffrey L. Dr. 1996 Control of an Active Suspension Using Fuzzy Logic IEEE 1 42 47
- Bastow, Donald Howard, Geoffrey 1993 Car Suspension and Handling London Pentech Press
- Bylsma, W. et al. 2000 Electromechanical Suspension Performance Testing Society of Automotive Engineers
- Cherry, A.S. Jones, R.P. 1995 Fuzzy Logic Control of an Automotive Suspension System IEEE Proceedings - Control Theory Applications 142 2 149 160
- Chowanietz, Eric 1995 Automobile Electronics Society of Automotive Engineers
- Gillespie, Thomas D. 1992 Fundamentals of Vehicle Dynamics Society of Automotive Engineers
- Hoogterp, Francis B. Beno, Joseph H. Weeks, Damon A. 1997 An Energy Efficient Electromagnetic Active Suspension System Society of Automotive Engineers ( 970385 )
- Kartalopoulos, Stamatios V. 1996 Understanding Neural Networks and Fuzzy Logic, Basic Concepts and Applications New York IEEE Press
- Lee, S.-H. Kim, S.-G. Lim, J.-T. 1998 Fuzzy-Logic-Based Fast Gain-Scheduling Control for Nonlinear Suspension Systems IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics 45 6 953 955
- Schuetze, K. T. Beno, J. H. Weldon, W. F. Sreenivasan, S. V. 1998 A Comparison of Controller Designs for an Active, Electromagnetic, Off-Road Vehicle Suspension System Traveling at High Speed Society of Automotive Engineers ( 980924 )
- Smith, C. C. McGehee, D. Y. Healey, A. J. 1978 The prediction of passenger riding comfort from acceleration data ASME Journal of Dynamic Systems, Measurement, and Control 100 March 34 41
- Son, Seok-il. Isik, Can. 1996 Application of Fuzzy Logic Control to an Automotive Active Suspension System IEEE 1 548 553
- Tong, Rick T. Amirouche, Farid. Nishiyama Shuji. 1999 Analysis of absorbed power distribution in ride dynamics - evaluation of driver's comfort, American Society of Mechanical Engineers, Design Engineering Division (Publication) DE, Innovations in Vehicle Design and Development 1999 The ASME International Mechanical Engineering Congress and Exposition 101 53 60
- Weeks, D. A. Beno, J. H. Bresie, D. A. Guenin, A. M. 1997 Control System for Single Wheel Station Heavy Tracked Vehicle Active Electromagnetic Suspension Society of Automotive Engineers ( 971087 )
- Weeks, D. A. Bresie, D. A. Beno, J. H. Guenin, A. M. 1999 The Design of an Electromagnetic Linear Actuator for an Active Suspension Society of Automotive Engineers
- Wong, J. Y. 1993 Theory of Ground Vehicles John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- Yan, Jun. Ryan, Michael. Power, James. 1994 Using Fuzzy Logic New York Prentice Hall
- Zadeh, A. Ghazi. Fahim, A. El-Gindy, M. 1997 Neural Network and Fuzzy Logic Applications to Vehicle Systems: Literature Survey International Journal of Vehicle Design 18 2 132 178