This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Simulating the Diffuse Interior Lighting Situation and Examining Its Results in a Virtual Reality Environment
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 04, 2002 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
To produce an appealing ambient interior lighting design, the illumination inside a car is generated by diffuse reflections at the surfaces of the interior. So the complete illumination set can be determined by using all light sources and the attributes of the surface materials of the interior geometry. Normally, the early concept phase of the car is ideally to integrate the interior lighting in the styling of the car. But in this phase it is nearly impossible to measure and optimize the interior light due to continuous changes in car interior styling.
An approach of simulating the diffuse illumination situation of car interior by using a radiosity method is presented. Then the results of the radiosity calculation are prepared in order to use them in a virtual reality environment. First the physical basics and their numerical implementation are shown. Then the material attributes, which are essential for calculation and their measurement based on real materials, are presented. Third we give a discussion which advantages we have by presenting the calculation results in virtual reality. At last, results of the radiosity calculation are demonstrated and are compared with measurement values to estimate this simulation method.
CitationReich, A. and Hahn, M., "Simulating the Diffuse Interior Lighting Situation and Examining Its Results in a Virtual Reality Environment," SAE Technical Paper 2002-01-0977, 2002, https://doi.org/10.4271/2002-01-0977.
SAE 2002 Transactions Journal of Passenger Cars - Mechanical Systems
Number: V111-6; Published: 2003-09-15
Number: V111-6; Published: 2003-09-15
- Eckert Ernst R. G. Robert M Heat and Mass Transfer McGraw-Hill New York 1959
- Sillion François X. Puech C. Radiosity and Global Illumination Morgan Kaufmann Publishers San Francisco 1998
- Jensen Henrik W. Marschner S. R. Levoy M. Hanrahan P. A Practical Model for Subsurface Light Transport Conference Proceedings of SIGGRAPH 2001 511 518 ACM SIGGRAPH 2001
- Kajiya James T. The Rendering Equation Computer Graphics 19 3 143 150 1985
- Shirley Peter Monte Carlo Simulation and integration SIGGRAPH 1992 course nodes 1992
- Shirley Peter Wang C. Direct Lighting by Monte Carlo Integration Brunet P. Jansen F.W. Photorealistic Rendering in Computer Graphics Springer Verlag Berlin 1992
- Heckbert Paul S. Radiosity in Flatland Computer Graphic Forum 11 3 181 192 Sept. 1992
- Stoer Josef Numerische Mathematik 1 Springer Verlag 1994
- Willmott Andrew J. Heckbert P. S. An Empirical Comparison of Radiosity Algorithms http://radsite.lbl.gov/radiance/HOME/html 1997
- Sparrow Ephraim M. On the calculation of radiant interchange between surfaces Ibele Warren Modern Developments in Heat Transfer Academic Press New York 1963
- Gortler Steven Cohen M. F. Slusallek P. Radiosity and relaxation Methods Technical report TR 408-93 Princeton University Princeton, NJ 1993
- Cohen Michael F. Chen S. E. Wallace J. R. Greenberg D. P. A Progressive Refinement Approach to Fast Radiosity Image Generation Computer Graphics 22 4 75 84 1988
- Cohen Michael F. Greenberg D. P. An Efficiant Radiosity Approach for Realistc Image Sysnthesis IEEE Computer Graphics and Applications 6 3 26 35 1986
- Wyszecki Gunter Stiles W. S. Color Science: Concepts and Methods, Quantitative Data and Formulae John Wiley & Sons New York 1982
- Hall Roy Illumination and Color in Computer Generated Imagery Springer Verlag Berlin 1989
- Ward Gregory J. Measuring and modeling anisotropic reflection Computer Graphics (SIGGRAPH '92 Proceedings) 265 272 1992
- Marschner Stephen R. Westin S. H. Lafortune E. P. F. Torrance K. E. Greenberg D. P. Image-based BRDF measurement including human skin Proceedings of 10 th Eurographics Workshop on Rendering 139 152 1999
- Bronstein Il'ja Semendjajew K. A. Taschenbuch der Mathematik Teubner Verlagsgesellschaft Stuttgart 1991
- Watt Alan 3D Computer Graphics Addison Wesley 1999