This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Improving Performance of a 6×6 Off-Road Vehicle Through Individual Wheel Control
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 04, 2002 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
This paper presents a method of control for a 6×6 series-configured Hybrid Electric Off-road Vehicle (HEOV). The vehicle concerned is an eight-tonne logistics support vehicle which utilizes Hub Mounted Electric Drives (HMED) at each of its six wheel stations. This set-up allows Individual Wheel Control (IWC) to be implemented to improve vehicle handling and mobility. Direct Yaw-moment Control (DYC) is a method of regulating individual wheel torque to control vehicle yaw motion, providing greater stability in cornering. When combined with both a Traction Control System (TCS) and an Anti-lock Braking System (ABS) the tire/road interaction is fully controlled, leading to improved control over vehicle dynamics, whilst also improving vehicle safety.
CitationJackson, A., Crolla, D., Woodhouse, A., and Parsons, M., "Improving Performance of a 6×6 Off-Road Vehicle Through Individual Wheel Control," SAE Technical Paper 2002-01-0968, 2002, https://doi.org/10.4271/2002-01-0968.
- Sakia, S. Sado, H. Hori, Y. 1999 “Motion Control in an Electric Vehicle with Four Independently Driven In-Wheel Motors” IEE/ASME Transactions on mechatronics 4 1
- Shino, M. Wang, Y.Q. Nagai, M. 2000 “Motion Control of Electric Vehicles Considering Vehicle Stability” Proceedings of AVEC 2000
- Yoshimura, T. Uchida, H. Nasu, H. Hino, J. Ueno, R. 1997 “Traction force control of an electric vehicle in 2WS-4WD mode using fuzzy reasoning” Int. J of Vehicle Design 18 5
- Brennan, S. Alleyne, A. 1999 “Driver assisted yaw rate control” Proceedings of ACC 1999
- Yoshioka, T. Adachi, T. Butsuen, T. Okazaki, H. Mochizuki, H. 1999 “Application of sliding-mode theory to direct yaw-moment control” JSAE review 20 523 529
- Jung, H. Kwak, B. Park, Y. 2000 “Improved directional stability in traction control system” Proceedings of AVEC 2000
- Crolla, D.A. Firth, G. Horton, D. 1992 “An introduction to vehicle dynamics” University of Leeds, Department of mechanical engineering
- Huh, K. Jhang, K. Oh, J. Kim, J. Hong, J. 1999 “Development of a simulation tool for the cornering performance analysis of 6WD/6WS vehicles” KSME International Journal 13 3 211 220
- Dugoff, H. Fancher, P.S. Segel, L. 1970 “An analysis of tire traction properties and their influence on vehicle dynamic performance” SAE paper no. 700377
- Thompson, R.W. 1999 “Hub Mounted Electric Drive project at DERA and MST (UK)” All Electric Combat Vehicle Conference 1999
- Jackson, A.E. Brown, M.D. Crolla, D.A. Woodhouse A. Parsons M. 2001 “Co-ordinated Mobility Control of a 6×6 Off-road Vehicle with Individual Wheel Control” Proceedings of EAEC 2001