This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Modal Coupling and Its Effect on Brake Squeal
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 04, 2002 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
More evidence has been found that rotor in-plane mode(s) and out-of-plane mode(s) alignment and coupling are the primary and inherent root cause for a disc brake to generate squeal at high frequencies. Eight different vehicles with different rotors have been tested considering known squeals. It has been found that the squeal frequencies are at the rotor in-plane mode(s) and out-of-plane mode(s) alignment and coupling frequencies. Rotor modal test results, vehicle squeal frequencies, and CAE operational simulation are presented.
CitationChen, F., Chern, J., and Swayze, J., "Modal Coupling and Its Effect on Brake Squeal," SAE Technical Paper 2002-01-0922, 2002, https://doi.org/10.4271/2002-01-0922.
- Crolla D.A. Lang A.M. “Brake Noise and Vibration: The State of the Art” Proc. Of the 17 th Leeds-Lyon Symposium on Tribology 165 174 1990
- Nishiwaki M. “Review of Study on Brake Squeal” JSAE Review 11 4 48 54 1990
- Ibrahim R.A. “Friction-induced Vibration, Chatter, Squeal, and Chaos. Part I: Mechanics of Contact and Friction” ASME Applied Mechanics Review 47 7 209 226 1994
- Ibrahim R.A. “Friction-induced Vibration, Chatter, Squeal, and Chaos. Part II: Dynamics and Modeling” ASME Applied Mechanics Review 47 7 227 253 1994
- Yang S. Gibson R.F. “Brake Vibration and Noise: Reviews, Comments, and Proposed Considerations” International J. of Materials and Product Technology 12 4-6 496 513 1997
- Tan C.A. Kang B. “A Study on the Root Cause of Disc Brake Squeal” Wayne State University 1998
- Murakami H. Tsunada N. Kitamura T. “A Study Concerned with a Mechanism of Disc Brake Squeal” SAE 841233
- Lewis T.M. Shah P. “Abalysis and Control of Brake Noise” SAE 872240
- Nishiwaki M. Harada H. Okamura H. Ikeuchi T. “Study on Disc Brake Squeal” SAE 890864
- Matsuzaki M. Izumihara T. “Brake Noise Caused by Longitudinal Vibration of the Disc Rotor” SAE 930804 1993
- Kai Hideyuki Suga Toshitaka Baba Haruhisa “Study on Reduction of Brake Squeal Caused by In-plane Vibration of Rotor” JSAE Conf. Proc. 983 1998
- Dunlap K. Brent Riehle M.A. Longhouse R.E. “An Investigative Overview of Automotive Disc Brake Noise” SAE 1999-01-0142 1999
- Chen F. Chen Shih-Emn Harwood Pat “In-Plane Mode/Friction Process & Their Contribution to Disc Brake Squeal at High Frequency” SAE 2000-01-2773 2000
- Tzou K.I. Wickert J.A. Akay A. “In-plane Vibration Modes of Arbitrarily Thick Discs” ASME J. of Vibration and Acoustics 120 384 391 1998
- Bae J.C. Wickert J.A. “Free Vibration of Coupled Disc Hat Structures” J. of Sound and Vibration 235 1 117 132 2000
- Bengisu T. Akay A. “Stability of Friction-induced Vibration in Multi-degree-of-freedom Systems” J. of Sound and Vibration 171 557 570 1994
- Akay A. Wickert J. Xu Z. “Investigating Criteria for the Onset of Mode Lock-in” Pittsburgh Carnegie Mellon University 1998