This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Performance and Emissions Characteristics of an LPG Direct Injection Diesel Engines
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 04, 2002 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
In this study, performance and emissions characteristics of an LPG direct injection (DI) engine with a rotary distributor pump were examined by using cetane enhanced LPG fuel developed for diesel engines. Results showed that stable engine operation was possible for a wide range of engine loads. Also, engine output power with cetane enhanced LPG was comparable to diesel fuel operation. Exhaust emissions measurements showed NOx and smoke could be reduced with the cetane enhanced LPG fuel. Experimental model vehicle with an in-line plunger pump has received its license plate in June 2000 and started high-speed tests on a test course. It has already been operated more than 15,000 km without any major failure. Another, experimental model vehicle with a rotary distributor pump was developed and received its license plate to operate on public roads.
- M. Kajiwara - Iwatani International Corporation
- K. Sugiyama - Iwatani International Corporation
- M. Sagara - Iwatani International Corporation
- M. Mori - Iwatani International Corporation
- Shinichi Goto - National Institute of Advanced Industrial Science and Technology
- M. Alam - The Pennsylvania State University
CitationKajiwara, M., Sugiyama, K., Sagara, M., Mori, M. et al., "Performance and Emissions Characteristics of an LPG Direct Injection Diesel Engines," SAE Technical Paper 2002-01-0869, 2002, https://doi.org/10.4271/2002-01-0869.
- Themel, T. Jansons, M. Campbell, S. Rhee, K. T. et al. “Diesel Engine Response to High Fuel-Injection Pressures” SAE Paper 982683 1998
- Chandler, G. R. Cooper, B. J. Harris, J. P. Thoss, J. E. Uusimaeki, A. Walker, A. P. Warren, J. P. “An Integrated SCR and Continuously Regenerating Trap System to Meet Future NOx and PM Legislation” SAE Paper 2000-01-0188 2000
- Tsurushima, T. Zhang, L. Ishii, Y. “A Study of Unburnt Hydrocarbon Emission in Small DI Diesel engines” SAE Paper 1999-01-0512 1999
- Sato, Y. et al. “An Experimental Study of a Direct Injection Methanol Engine for Low NOx Emission Using Hot EGR and Alumina Catalyst” Proceedings of the 11 th ISAF 1 123 1996
- Kajitani, S. Chen, Z. L. Konno M. “Engine Performance and Exhaust Gas Characteristics of Direct-Injection Diesel Engine Operated with DME” SAE Paper 972973 1997
- Goto, S. Lee, D. Wakao, Y. Honma, H. Mori, M. Akasaka, Y. Hashimoto, K. Motohashi, M. Konno, M. “Development of an LPG DI Diesel Engine using Cetane Number Enhancing Additives” SAE paper 1999-01-3602 1999
- Lee, D. Goto, S. Honma, H. Wakao, Y. Mori, M. “Chemical Kinetic Study of a Cetane Number Enhancing Additive for an LPG DI Diesel Engine” SAE paper 2000-01-0193 2000
- Alam, M. Goto, S. Sugiyama, K. Kajiwara, M. Mori, M. Motohashi, M. Oyama, K. “Performance and Emissions of a DI Diesel Engine Operating with the Blend of LPG and Ignition Improving Additives” SAE Paper 2001-01-3680 2001
- Sugiyama, K. Kajiwara, M. Sagara, M. Mori, M. Alam, M. Goto, S. Motohashi, M. Oyama, K. Konno, M. “Development of an LPG fuel for diesel engines with the addition of a Cetane Number Enhancing Additive” Institute of Automotive Technology 9 12 2001