This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Common Rail HSDI Diesel Engine Combustion and Emissions with Fossil / Bio-Derived Fuel Blends
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 04, 2002 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
In order to evaluate the potentialities of bioderived diesel fuels, the effect of fueling a 1.9 l displacement HSDI automotive Diesel engine with biodiesel and fossil/biodiesel blend on its emission and combustion characteristics has been investigated.
The fuels tested were a typical European diesel, a 50% biodiesel blend in the reference diesel, and a 100% biodiesel, obtained by mixing rape seed methyl ester (RME) and recycled cooking oil (CME).
Steady state tests were performed at two different engine speeds (2500 and 4000 rpm), and for a wide range of loads, in order to evaluate the behavior of the fuels under a large number of operating conditions.
Engine performance and exhaust emissions were analyzed, along with the combustion process in terms of heat release analysis. Experimental evidences showed appreciably lower CO and HC specific emissions and a substantial increase in NOx levels. A significant reduction of smoke emissions was also obtained.
CitationGrimaldi, C., Postrioti, L., Battistoni, M., and Millo, F., "Common Rail HSDI Diesel Engine Combustion and Emissions with Fossil / Bio-Derived Fuel Blends," SAE Technical Paper 2002-01-0865, 2002, https://doi.org/10.4271/2002-01-0865.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|[Unnamed Dataset 1]|
- Schmidt, K. and Van Gerpen, J.: “The Effect of Biodiesel Fuel Composition on Diesel Combustion and Emissions”, SAE Paper 961086
- Last, R.J., Krüger, M. and Dürnholz, M.: “Emissions an Performance Characteristics of a 4-Stroke, Direct Injected Diesel Engine Fueled with Blends of Biodiesel and Low Sulfur Diesel Fuel”, SAE Paper 950054
- Graboski, M.S., Ross, J.D. and McCormick, R.L.: “Transient Emissions from No. 2 Diesel and Biobiesel Blends in a DDC Series 60 Engine”, SAE Paper 961166
- Akasaka, Y., Suzuki, T. and Sakurai, Y.: “Exhaust Emissions of a DI Diesel Engine Fueled with Blends of Biodiesel and Low Sulfur Diesel Fuel”, SAE Paper 972998
- Zhang, Y. and Van Gerpen, J.H.: “Combustion Analysis of Esters of Soybean Oil in a Diesel Engine”, SAE Paper 960765
- Police, L.G., Prati, M.V., Auriemma, M. and Alfuso, S.: “Regulated Emissions of DI Diesel Engines Fuelled with Methyl Ester of Rape Seed Oil”, ImechE Second Seminar 1993, ISBN 0 85298 848 6.
- Senatore, A., Cardone, M., Rocco, V. and Prati, M.V.: “A Comparative Analysis of Combustion Process in D.I. Diesel Engine Fueled with Biodiesel and Diesel Fuel”, SAE Paper 2000-01-0691.
- Hansen, K.F. and Grouleff Jensen, M.: “Chemical and Biological Characteristics of Exhaust Emissions from a DI Diesel Engine Fuelled with Rapeseed Oil Methyl Ester (RME)”, SAE Paper 971689
- Sharp, C.A., Howell, S.A. and Jobe, J.,: “The Effect of Biodiesel Fuels on Transient Emissions from Modern Diesel Engines, Part I Regulated Emissions and Performance”, SAE Paper 2000-01-1967.
- Sharp, C.A., Howell, S.A. and Jobe, J.,: “The Effect of Biodiesel Fuels on Transient Emissions from Modern Diesel Engines, Part II Unregulated Emissions and Chemical Characterization”, SAE Paper 2000-01-1968.
- Grimaldi, C.N. and Postrioti, L.: “Experimental Comparison between Conventional and Bio-derived Fuels Sprays from a Common Rail Injection System”, SAE Paper 2000-01-1252.
- Grimaldi, C.N., Mariani, F. and Postrioti, L.: “Performance and Emissions of a Common Rail DI Diesel Engine Using Fossil and Different Bio-Derived Fuels”, SAE Paper 2001-01-2017.
- Owen, K. and Coley, T.: “Automotive Fuels Reference Book”, second edition, published by SAE, 1995, ISBN 1-56091-589-7.
- Badami, M., Caporaso, M. and Millo, F.: “MECOMOTOR: Sistema di acquisizione dati per motori alternativi a combustione interna”, National Instruments Automotive Users' Conference, Turin, Italy, June 2001.
- “Reciprocating Internal Combustion Engines - Exhaust emission measurement - Part 1: Test-Bed Measurenment of gaseous and particulate exhaust emissions”. ISO 8178-1 - 2nd edition, 2001
- Heywood, J. B., “Internal Combustion Engine Fundamentals”, McGraw-Hill Book Co., New York, 1988.