This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Combustion Radicals Observation of DME Engine by Spectroscopic Method
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 04, 2002 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
For better understanding of the in-cylinder combustion characteristics of DME, combustion radicals of a direct injection DME-Fueled compression ignition engine were observed using a spectroscopic method. In this initial report, the emission intensity of OH, CH, CHO, C2 and NO radicals was measured using a photomultiplier. These radicals could be measured with wavelength resolution (half-width) of about 3.3 nm. OH and CHO radicals appeared first, and then CH radical emission was detected. After that, the combustion radicals were observed using a high-speed image intensified video camera. C2 and CH radicals were able to observe roughly as images. However, the emission intensity of DME combustion was not strong enough to take OH, CHO and NO radical images. CH radical combustion occurred near the chamber wall and burned like a ring, as combustion progress, indicating active heat release occurred near the chamber wall.
- Mitsuharu Oguma - New Energy and Industrial Technology Development Organization, NEDO
- Gisoo Hyun - National Institute of Advanced Industrial Science and Technology, AIST
- Mahabubul Alam - National Institute of Advanced Industrial Science and Technology, AIST
- Shinichi Goto - National Institute of Advanced Industrial Science and Technology, AIST
- Mitsuru Konno - Ibaraki Univ.
- Kazuya Oyama - Ibaraki Univ.
CitationOguma, M., Hyun, G., Alam, M., Goto, S. et al., "Combustion Radicals Observation of DME Engine by Spectroscopic Method," SAE Technical Paper 2002-01-0863, 2002, https://doi.org/10.4271/2002-01-0863.
SAE 2002 Transactions Journal of Engines
Number: V111-3; Published: 2003-09-15
Number: V111-3; Published: 2003-09-15
- Sorenson S.C. Mikkelsen Svend-Erik “Performance and Emissions of a 0.273 Liter Direct Injection Diesel Engine Fuelled with Neat Dimethyl Ether” SAE Paper 950064 1995
- Kapus Paul Ofner Herwig “Development of Fuel Injection Equipment and Combustion System for DI Diesels Operated on Dimethyl Ether” SAE Paper 950062 1995
- Fleisch Theo McCarthy Chris Basu Arun Udovich Carl Charbonneau Pat Slodowske Warren Mikkelsen Svend-Erik McCandless Jim “A New Clean Diesel Technology: Demonstration of ULEV Emissions on a Navistar Diesel Engine Fueled with Dimethyl Ether” SAE Paper 950061 1995
- CHEN Zhili KONNO Mitsuru KAJITANI Shuichi “Performance and Emissions of DI Compression Ignition Engines Fueled with Dimethyl Ether (1 st Report, Performance and Emissions in Retrofitted Engines)” JSME paper, 64-627-B 383 388 1998
- Kajitani S. Chen Z. L. Konno M. Rhee K. T. “Engine Performance and Exhaust characteristics of Direct-Injection Diesel Engine Operated with DME” SAE Paper 972973 1997
- Oguma Mitsuharu Konno Mitsuru Kajitani Shuichi Rhee Kyung T. “A Study of Low Compression-Ratio Dimethyl Ether (DME) Diesel Engine” The ASME Internal Combustion Engine Division 2000
- OGUMA Mitsuharu MACHIDA Hideyuki MINEGISHI Kiyotaka KONNO Mitsuru KAJITANI Shuichi “A Study of Low Compression Ratio Dimethyl Ether (DME) Diesel Engine” JSME Paper, 66-648-B 321 327 2000
- MORI Tomoya KAJITANI Shuichi KONNO Mitsuru OGUMA Mitsuharu KATO Hideto “The NOx reduction effects by EGR of DME CI engine” JSME Proceedings of Ibaraki District Conference 297 298 2000
- Alam Mahabubul Fujita Osamu Ito Kenichi Kajitani Shuichi Konno Mitsuru Oguma Mitsuharu “Comparison of NOx Reduction Performance with NOx Catalyst in Simulated Gas and Actual DME Engine Exhaust Gas” ASME ICE 33-1 1999
- Alam M. Fujita O. Ito K. Kajitani S. Oguma M. Machida H. “performance of NOx Catalyst in a DI Diesel Engine operated with Neat Dimethyl Ether” SAE Paper 1999-01-3599 1999
- KONNO Mitsuru KAJITANI Shuichi SUZUKI Yoshihiro “Unburned Emissions from a DI Diesel Engine Operated with Dimethyl Ether” Proceeding of The 15 th Internal Combustion Engine Symposium (International) 1999
- KONNO Mitsuru WATANABE Yasuyuki CHEN Zhili KAJITANI Shuichi “Combustion Characteristics of a Compression Ignition Engine Fueled with Dimethyl Ether” Proceeding of 16 th Internal Combustion Engine Symposium 473 478 2000
- Iida Norimasa “Numerical Calculation Study of Auto-Ignition with Elementary Reactions Fueled with Pre-mixed DME-air gas” JSME Report of RC174 2000
- OHYA Masaaki TSUCHIYA Kentaro et al “Oxidation Reaction of Dimethyl Ether” JSME Report of RC174 2001
- Tanaka Hiromichi “Characterization of Laser Induced Plasma by Spectroscopic Method” Ibaraki University 1999
- Kouda Seiichirou Takubo Yoshitaka “Measurement and application of Flame by spectroscopy” Spectroscopic Society of Japan 113 125 1990