This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Online Detection of Cylinder-to-Cylinder Variations by a Vibration Analysis System
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 04, 2002 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Imbalance between cylinders is a major concern of a proper operation of reciprocating engines. An engine reliability and performance envelop, including life span, fuel consumption and emission, are strongly affected by an improper operation of the cylinders. To improve the engine quality, there is a strong need for a closed-loop control system to manage the amount of fuel injected to each individual cylinder.
An advanced system to detect imbalance related faults in reciprocating engines which is based on the analysis of the engine's mechanical vibrations have been developed. The system is based on a firm theoretical background that provides a fundamental relation between the engine's vibration pattern and the relative characteristics of the combustion process in the different cylinders. With a single accelerometer mounted on the engine's block, online information related to the combustion process in each cylinder is provided by the system. This information can be used to control the injection quantity and timing to the individual cylinders. It was demonstrated in a series of experiments that the system provides sensitive yet robust data concerning the momentarily relative contribution of each cylinder.
|Technical Paper||An Adaptive Idle Mode Control System|
|Journal Article||Evaluation of a Closed Loop Spark Advance Controller Based on a Torque Sensor|
|Technical Paper||Application of Fluid Dynamics Model to Estimate Cylinder Intake Volume|
- G. deBotton - Engines PdM Ltd.
- E. Sher - Engines PdM Ltd.
- E. Frenkel - Engines PdM Ltd.
- B. Rivin - Engines PdM Ltd.
- I. Henig - Advanced and Research Diesel, Diesel Powertrain Integration Ford Dunton Technical Centre
- B. Cumming - Advanced and Research Diesel, Diesel Powertrain Integration Ford Dunton Technical Centre
- M. Watts - Advanced and Research Diesel, Diesel Powertrain Integration Ford Dunton Technical Centre
CitationdeBotton, G., Sher, E., Frenkel, E., Rivin, B. et al., "Online Detection of Cylinder-to-Cylinder Variations by a Vibration Analysis System," SAE Technical Paper 2002-01-0848, 2002, https://doi.org/10.4271/2002-01-0848.
Electronic Engine Controls 2002: Electronics and Information Gathering
Number: SP-1690; Published: 2002-03-04
Number: SP-1690; Published: 2002-03-04
- Anderton, D. Ghazy, M. R. 1987 Dynamic response of heavy duty diesel engine structures SAE technical paper 871669
- Autar, R. K. 1996 An Automated Diagnostic Expert System for Diesel Engines J. Engineering for Gas Turbines and Power 118 673
- Bazinet, V. 2000 Injection control in a diesel common rail system SIA (Societe des Ingenieurs Automobile) What challenges for the diesel engine of the year 2000 and beyond Lyon
- Bosch Automative Handbook 5th 2000 Bauer, H. 107 108 496 497 Robert Bosch GmbH SAE International
- Courrech J. 1990 Fault detection and fault diagnosis in reciprocating machines The institution of engineers Australia Vibration and noise conference Melbourne
- deBotton, G. Ben-Ari, J. Itzhaki, R. Sher, E. 1998 Vibration Signature Analysis as a Fault Detection Method for SI Engines SAE technical paper 980115
- Eastwood, P. G. Hlliwell, N. A. Carter, J. N. 1987 The detection of faults in diesel fuel injectors Int. J. of Vehicle Design 8 455 464
- Goldman, S. 1987 Vibration analysis now works on reciprocating engines Power 131 49 56
- Hirt, D. Gerlich, L. Heinle, E. 1974 Method and apparatus to monitor quality of operation of a piston in a cylinder
- Hountalas, T. D. 2000 Prediction of marine diesel engine performance under fault conditions Appl. Thermal Engng 20 1753 1783
- Jenzer, J. 1987 Smoothing of shaft rotation of multicylinder combustion engine correcting ratio of air to fuel injected into individual cylinders diagnosed by torsion vibrometer
- Lee, B. Rizzoni, G. Guesennec, Y. Soliman, A. Cavalletti, M. Waters, J. 2001 Engine control using torque estimation SAE technical paper 2001-01-0995
- Macian, M. Lerma, M. J. Barila, D. 1998 Condition Monitoring of Thermal Reciprocating Engines Through Analysis of Rolling Block Oscillations SAE technical paper 980116
- Meiler, P. P. Maas, M. M. 1997 Condition monitoring of a diesel engine by analyzing its torsional vibration, using modern information processing technology Proceedings of the eleventh ship control system symposium Southampton, U.K.
- Neun, J. A. Watts, R. J. 1990 An automated system to diagnose the condition of machinery using vibration analysis ASME Energy-sources technology conference and exhibition New-Orleans, LA
- Nurhadi, I. Bagiasna, K. Wediyanto 1993 Signature Analysis of 4-Stroke 1-Cylinder Engine SAE technical paper 932011
- Schiffbaenker, H. 1985 Fully automated quality control in the mass production of gasoline engines by means of laseroptical vibration measurement Proceedings International Symposium on Automotive Technology and Automation Automotive Automation Ltd Croydon, Engl 457 488
- Simmons J. C. 1987 Vibration analysis technique for rotating and reciprocating machines Maintenance Engineering Conference Melbourne
- Sobel, J. R. Jeremiasson, J. Wallin, C. 1996 Instantaneous crankshaft torque mesurement in cars SAE technical paper 960040
- Stander, M. D. 1997 Engine misfire detection with digital filtering
- Tao, X. T. 1997 System for detection of low power in at least one cylinder of a multi-cylinder engine