This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Correlation Concept Between Mixture Formation and Ignition Applied to a GDI High Speed Engine
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 04, 2002 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The paper presents a GDI concept applied to a four-stroke four-valve single cylinder engine in base of the original “crevice-like” combustion chamber of the basic engine with external mixture formation. For such application both, an adapted shape of injection rate as well as a good correlation of location and timing between injection and spark is requested.
The shape of injection rate is adapted in base of a pressure pulse injection system. The paper presents the special features of the system conceived for this aim, as well as the results for different locations of injector and spark plug. The best results in terms of bmep, bsfc and pollutant emissions are obtained with a twin spark configuration. The mixture formation and combustion particularities of this concept are analyzed going from the experimental results at the engine test bench for full and part-load in condition of widely unthrottled operation.
CitationStan, C., Troeger, R., and Stanciu, A., "Correlation Concept Between Mixture Formation and Ignition Applied to a GDI High Speed Engine," SAE Technical Paper 2002-01-0833, 2002, https://doi.org/10.4271/2002-01-0833.
- Stan, C. Direct Injection Systems for Spark Ignition and Compression Ignition Engines SAE 2000 0-7680-0610-4
- Stan, C. Lefebvre, J.L. Development of a Direct Injection Concept for Two Wheelers Equipped with Two Stroke Engines SAE Paper 1999-01-1248
- Stan, C. Stanciu, A. Guenther, S. Martorano, L. Tarantino, C. Antonelli, M. Direct Injection Application on a Four-Stroke Motorcycle Engine SAE Paper 2001-01-1818/4238
- AMESim manual 42300 Roanne, France
- Stan, C. Stanciu, A. Troeger, R. Martorano, L. Tarantino, C. Specific Aspects of Mixture Formation and Combustion in Compact GDI Engines SAE Paper 2000-01-0997
- Stan, C. Experimental Analysis of the Fuel Spray Characteristics for DI High Speed Engines Using a Ram Tuned Injection System SAE Paper 972742
- Grimaldi, C. N. Postrioti, L. Stan, C. Tröger, R. Analysis Method for the Spray Characteristics of a GDI System with High Pressure Modulation SAE Paper 2000-01-1043