This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Driver's Fatigue Evaluation During Long Term Driving for Automotive Seat Development
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 04, 2002 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
An important issue in automotive seat comfort is reducing driver fatigue during long-term driving. In this paper, a finite element model of the seat and the human body was developed, and stress analyses around the lumbar vertebrae of the human body were carried out. A long-term driving test on a compact car seat was conducted by using a driving simulator, and increases in the stress hormone adrenaline in the urine of the subjects were measured. Correlations between physical seat data and increases in adrenaline were analyzed, and the seat parts causing body fatigue were identified. The results of the long-term driving test were compared with the results of the finite element analysis, and an attempt was made to clarify the mechanism responsible for the fatigue.
CitationUenishi, K., Tanaka, M., Yoshida, H., Tsutsumi, S. et al., "Driver's Fatigue Evaluation During Long Term Driving for Automotive Seat Development," SAE Technical Paper 2002-01-0773, 2002, https://doi.org/10.4271/2002-01-0773.
Human Factors in Seating and Automotive Telematics
Number: SP-1670; Published: 2002-03-04
Number: SP-1670; Published: 2002-03-04
- Katsuraki, M. Hanai, T. Hijikata, S. Kishi, Y. “Analysis of Fatigue Evaluation for Suitability of Sitting Posture and Seats” Journal of Society of Automotive Engineers of Japan 52 3 1998
- Yoshizawa, N. Michida, N. Iname, C. Furugori, S. “Evaluation of Muscular Fatigue after Long-term Sitting in Automotive seat” JSAE Autumn Convention Proceedings No. 20005441 2000
- Tsutsumi, S. Doi, K. “Pseudo 3D computer simulation for pathogenesis and rehabilitation of cervical spine deformation by malocclusion” International Journal of Industrial Ergonomics. 9 137 144 1992
- Andersson, B. J. G. Ortengren, R. Nachemson A. Elfstorm, G. “Lumbar disc pressure and myoelectric back muscle activity during sitting - I. Studies on an experimental chair” Scand. J. Rehabil. Med. 3 104 114 1974
- Yamazaki, N. “Biomechanical Evaluation of Seat Comfort” Biomechanisms 9 151 162 1988
- “Mechanical vibration and shock Evaluation of human exposure to whole-body vibration - Part1” International Organization for Standardization 1997
- Research Committee of Sensory Evaluation “Sensory Evaluation Handbook” Union of Japanese Scientists and Engineers 1973
- Kato, K. “The Development of a Method of Evaluating Ride Comfort on Seat Caused by Steady Random Vibration” JSAE Spring Convention Proceedings No. 9932755 1999
- Suzuki, H. Mizuno, Y. Saito, T. Fujimori, T. “Assessment of the Physiological Response due to High-Speed Motorcycle Driving using Frequency Component Time-series of Heart Rate Variability” JSAE Spring Convention Proceedings No. 20005276 2000
- Kasahara, T. Katsuura, T. Iwanaga, K. Harada, H. Noguchi, Y. Sugiura, K. “Quantitative Evaluation of Mental Workload by Using Indices of Autonomic Nervous Activity” JSAE Spring Convention Proceedings No. 20005092 2000
- Bush, T. R. Mills, F. T. Thakurta, K. Hubbard, R. P. Vorro, J. “The Use of Electromyography for Seat Assessment and Comfort Evaluation” SAE Paper, No. 950143 1995
- Taguchi, T. Inagaki, H. Nagai, T. Ishikawa, H. “Study of Driver Fatigue during Long Time Driving” Transactions of Society of Automotive Engineers of Japan 30 2 1997
- Inagaki, H. Taguchi, T. Yasuda, E. Iizuka, Y. “Evaluation of Riding Comfort: From the Viewpoint of Interaction of Human Body and Seat for Static, Dynamic, Long Time Driving” SAE Paper, No. 950143 1995
- Taguchi, T. Inagaki, H. “Influence of Vertical Vibrations on Driver's Fatigue during Long-distance Running -Assessment in Terms of Stress Hormones-” Transactions of Society of Automotive Engineers of Japan 30 2 1999