This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Adhesively Bonding Plastic Structural Components in Automotive Applications
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 04, 2002 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
As OEM's strive for better vehicles at a lower cost, there has been a tremendous drive toward improvements in overall energy efficiency, while at the same time improving performance of the structure and reducing the overall weight of the vehicle. With these growing needs, it has become necessary to look to non-traditional engineering material systems as viable and cost effective solutions. To this end, this paper presents an approach to bonding and associated technologies, and investigates the problem of bonding non-traditional engineering materials to produce optimized automotive structures.
CitationBrewster, C. and Burr, S., "Adhesively Bonding Plastic Structural Components in Automotive Applications," SAE Technical Paper 2002-01-0726, 2002, https://doi.org/10.4271/2002-01-0726.
- Callister William D. Material Science and Engineering, an Introduction John Wiley & Sons New York 1997
- Hart-Smith L.J. “The Bonded Lapshear Test Coupon-Useful for Quality Assurance But Dangerously Misleading for Design Data” 38th International SAMPE Symposium May 10-13, 1993
- Kinloch A.J. Adhesion and Adhesives . Chapman and Hall New York 1987
- Charalambides MN et al. “Adhesively bonded repairs to fiber-composite materials II: Finite element modeling” Composites Part A 29A 1998
- Kinloch A.J. “Cracks At Polymeric Interfaces: The Role of Fracture Mechanics” Fatigue of Advanced Materials Proceedings from the English Foundation International Conference 1991
- Skeist Irving “Handbook of Adhesives, Second Edition” Van Nostrand Reinhold Company New York 1977
- Kinloch AJ “Interfacial Fracture Mechanical Aspects of Adhesive Bonded Joints- A Review” Journal of Adhesion 1979
- Burr S.T. Hertema D. Sweeny J. “Correlation Between Modeling and Measurement of Material Parameters for Thermoplastic Materials Under High-Speed Impact Events” Journal of Reinforced Plastics and Composites 1625 1635 17 18 1998
- Kinloch AJ “Interfacial Fracture Mechanical Aspects of Adhesive Bonded Joints-A Review” Journal of Adhesion 193 219 10 1979
- Coker EG et. al “Photoelastic Investigation of Shear Tests of Timber” Institute of Civil Engineers London William Cloroes and Sons, LTd
- Liu Jen Y et. al. “Improved Arcan Shear Test for Wood” USDA Forest Service, Forest Products Laboratory, International Wood Engineering Conference 1996
- Voloshin A Arcan M “Failure of Unidirectional Fiber-Reinforced Materials-New Methodology and Results” Experimental Mechanics 20 8 280 284
- “Standard Test Method for Adhesive –Bonded Surface Durability of Aluminum (Wedge Test)” Annual Book of ASTM Test Standards 15.06