This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Use of a Pressure-Based Technique for Evaluating the Aerodynamics of Vehicle Cooling Systems
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 04, 2002 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
A pressure-based technique has been developed for the purpose of radiator cooling airflow measurement. The technique was effectively utilised to quantify the local time-averaged air velocity through radiator cores in a small wind tunnel. The pressure difference indicated by the technique was found to be a function of the normal component of the air velocity. This paper describes the development and use of the technique which is compact, robust and non-intrusive. By applying this technique, the airflow distribution across the radiator face has been measured for a complete vehicle in an aerodynamic wind tunnel and in an environmental chamber. Results are compared for the different test environments. The influence of airflow distribution on the Specific Dissipation (a parameter used for evaluating radiator cooling performance) is examined and results for propeller-based methods and pressure-based methods are compared. It is found that the pressure-based technique has given reliable results and can be a practical tool for use in evaluating the aerodynamics of vehicle cooling systems. In addition, this study also reveals a considerable lack of uniformity across the radiator front face of a typical passenger vehicle, inefficient use of the radiator core heat-transfer area with consequent.
|Technical Paper||The Effect of the Flow Nonuniformity on the Sizing of the Engine Radiator|
|Technical Paper||Influence of Front End Vehicle, Fan and Shroud on the Heat Performance of A/C Condenser and Cooling Radiator|
|Ground Vehicle Standard||Cooling Flow Measurement Techniques|
CitationNg, E., Watkins, S., Johnson, P., and Mole, L., "Use of a Pressure-Based Technique for Evaluating the Aerodynamics of Vehicle Cooling Systems," SAE Technical Paper 2002-01-0712, 2002, https://doi.org/10.4271/2002-01-0712.
- Chiou, J.P., The Combined Effects of Maldistributions of the Inlet Air Temperature and the Induced Flow Nonuniformity on the Performances of Radiator, Heater, and Oil Cooler, SAE Paper 850037
- Williams, J., and Vemaganti, G., CFD Quality - A Calibration Study for Front-End Cooling Airflow, SAE Paper 980039
- J2083, Cooling Flow Measurement Techniques, SAE Report
- Olson, M.E., Aerodynamic Effects of Front End Design on Automobile Engine Cooling Systems, SAE Paper 760188
- Williams, J., An Automotive Front-End Design Approach for Improved Aerodynamics and Cooling, SAE Paper 850281
- Schaub, U.W., and Charles, H. N., Ram Air Effects on the Air Side Cooling System Performance of a Typical North American Passenger Car, SAE Paper 800032
- Srun, N.A., A Simple Engine Cooling System Simulation Model, SAE Paper 1999-01-0237
- Berneburg, H., and Cogotti, A., Development and Use of LDV and Other Airflow Measurement Techniques as a Basis for the Improvement of Numerical Simulation of Engine Compartment Air Flows, SAE Paper 930294
- El-Bourini, R., Road Measurements of Front End Components' Effect on Vehicle Engine Compartment Air Flow, SAE Paper 930145
- Lyn, M.-S., and Ku, Y.-G., Numerical and Experimental Study of Three Dimensional Flow in Engine Room, SAE Paper 960270
- Fujikake, K., Katagiri, H., and Suzuki, Y., Measurement of Air Velocity Distribution and Airflow Rate through Radiator in an Automobile, SAE Paper 780587
- Dudley, S.P., and Barry, R. E., The Measurement of Underhood and Underbody Velocities with the H-Meter, SAE Paper 1999-01-0234
- Ono, K., Himeno, R., Fujitani, K., and Uematsu, Y., Simultaneous Computation of the External Flow around a Car Body and the Internal Flow Through its Engine Compartment, SAE Paper 920342
- Fellague, K.A., Hu, S. H., and Willoughby, D. A., Determination of the Effects of Inlet Air Velocity and Temperature Distributions on the Performance of an Automotive Radiator, SAE Paper 940771
- Pervaiz, M.M., Brewster, R. A., Ross, F., Bauer, W., and Reister, H., Numerical Methodology for Automotive Radiator and Condenser Simulations, SAE Paper 971840
- Dohi, M., Sudou, Y., Noguchi, H., and Kamada, N., Airflow Simulation in Engine Compartment by CFD Analysis, SAE Paper 982803
- Han, T., and Skynar, M., Three-Dimensional Navier-Stokes Analysis of Front End Air Flow for a Simplified Engine Compartment, SAE Paper 921091
- Minegishi, T., Uematsu, Y., Simonosono, H., and Yoshikawa, Y., A Study of a Practical Numerical Analysis Method for Heat Flow Distribution in the Engine Compartment, SAE Paper 931081
- Yasuki, T., Nishimura, T., Abe, T., and Takamitsu, J., Prediction of the Airflow Through Automotive Radiators Using 3-Dimensional Analysis, SAE Paper 932889
- Costelli, A., Gabriele, P., and Giordanengo, D., Experimental Analysis of Engine Cooling Systems, SAE Paper 790397
- Ecer, A., Toksoy, C., Rubek, V., Hall, R., Gezmisoglu, G., Pagliarulo, V., Caruso, S., and Azzali, J., Air Flow and Heat Transfer Analysis of an Automotive Engine Radiator to Calculate Air-to-Boil Temperature, SAE Paper 951015
- Hird, T.G., Johnson, P. W., and Pitt, B. Aerodynamic Improvements to Car Radaitor Performance Using a Wind Tunnel Facility. 9th Australasian Fluid Mechanics Conference. 1986. Auckland.
- Lin, C., Saunders, J. W., and Watkins, S., Effect of Cross-Winds on Motor Car Engine Cooling, SAE Paper 970138
- Ng, E.Y., Johnson, P. W., Watkins, S., and Grant L., Wind-Tunnel Tests of Vehicle Cooling System Performance at High Blockage, SAE Paper 2000-01-0351
- Lin, C., Saunders, J. W., Watkins, S., and Mole, L., Increased Productivity - Use of Specific Dissipation to Evaluate Vehicle Engine Cooling, SAE Paper 970137
- Burton, D.M., Saunders, J., and Sheridan, J. Effect of Free Stream Turbulence Level on Embedded Thermister Anemometers, Melbourne Graduate Fluids Conference. 2001. Monash University, Melbourne, Australia.
- Ng, E.Y., Watkins, S., Johnson, P. W. and Mole, L. Measuring Local Time-Averaged Airflow Velocity through an Automotive Heat Exchanger. Proceedings of the 14th Australasian Fluid Mechanics Conference. 2001. Adelaide, Australia.
- Kays, W.M., and London, A. L., Compact Heat Exchangers. Third Edition (Reprint Edition with corrections) ed. 1998: Krieger Publishing Company.
- Davenport, C.J., Heat Transfer and Fluid Flow in Louvred Triangular Ducts, Ph.D. Thesis, Department of Mechanical Engineering. 1980, Coventry (Lanchester) Polytechnic.
- Achaichia, A., and Cowell, T. A., Heat Transfer and Pressure Drop Characteristics of Flat Tube and Louvered Plate Fin Surfaces. Experimental Thermal and Fluid Science, 1988. 1: p. 147-157.
- Hooper, J.D., and Musgrove, A. R., Reynolds Stress, Mean Velocity, and Dynamic Static Pressure Measurement by a Four-Hole Pressure Probe. Experimental Thermal and Fluid Science, 1997. 15: p. 375-383.
- Tecplot User's Manual (Version 7). 1996, Bellevue, Washington: Amtec Engineering Inc.