This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
A Study on a Metal Pushing V-belt type CVT - A Novel Approach to Characterize the Friction Between Blocks and a Pulley, and Shifting Mechanisms
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 04, 2002 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
In Metal V-belt type CVT, an elastic deformation of blocks determines the shifting speed and the pulley thrusts at transitional state. Both driving and driven pulley thrusts were calculated by considering the forces acting on blocks at a pulley entrance, which agreed with the experimental results at not only steady state but also transitional state. The frictional performance of CVT fluids and the frictional characteristics between blocks and a pulley were evaluated by applying the mean coefficient of friction as a friction parameter. It was found from the experiments that the estimated coefficient of friction of CVT fluids was not constant with respect to operating conditions. It changed due to relative sliding speed between blocks and the pulley, sliding direction and normal pressure acting on V-surface of the block.
CitationKataoka, R., Okubo, K., Fujii, T., and Kanehara, S., "A Study on a Metal Pushing V-belt type CVT - A Novel Approach to Characterize the Friction Between Blocks and a Pulley, and Shifting Mechanisms," SAE Technical Paper 2002-01-0697, 2002, https://doi.org/10.4271/2002-01-0697.
- Micklem, J. D. et al. The Magnitude of the Losses in the Steel Pushing V-Belt Continuously Variable Transmission Proc. Instn. Mech. Engr. 1996 210 57 62
- Ide, T. et al. Effect of Power Losses of Metal V-Belt CVT Components on the Fuel Economy Proc of CVT'99 1999 93 98
- Fujimura, O. et al. Shifting Mechanisms and Variation of Frictional Coefficients for CVT using Metal Pushing V-Belts SAE technical paper series, No. 2000-01-0840 2000
- Kanehara, S. et al. A Study on a Metal Pushing V-belt Type CVT Macroscopic Consideration for Coefficient of Friction between Belt and Pulley Proc of JSAE CVT'96 Yokohama 9636277 1996 15 22
- Kataoka, R. et al. A Study on a Metal Pushing V-Belt type CVT - Frictional Characteristics of CVT Fluid - Proc. JSAE spring convention 132 2001
- Kanehara, S. et al. Characterization of a CVT using a Metal V-belt at Transitional States proc of CVT'99 1999 58 64
- Kuwabara, S. et al. Power Transmitting Mechanisms of CVT Using a Metal V-Belt and Load Distribution in the Steel Ring SAE technical paper, No. 980824 1998
- Shimizu, H. et al. Development of Simulation for Analyzing the Dynamic Behavior of a Metal Pushing V-Belt for CVTs SAE technical paper, No. 2000-01-0828 2000
- Kanehara, S. et al. A Study of a Metal Pushing V-belt type CVT - part2: Compression Force between Metal Blocks and Ring Tension SAE Trans., J. of Passengers Car 102 1994 1000 1009
- Kobayashi, D. et al. A Study on the Torque Capacity of a Metal Pushing V-Belt for CVTs SAE technical paper, No. 980822 1998
- Ide, T. et al. Experimental Investigation on Shift Speed Characteristics of a Metal V-Belt CVT JSAE, No.9636330 1996
- Eguchi, M. et al. Friction Characteristic of a Paper-Based Facting Facting for a Wet Clutch J.JAST 36-7 1991 535 542
- Takahashi, A. et al. Investigation of Friction Properties of Fluid for High Torque Capacity Belt CVT Proc. JSAE Spring Convention 8-99 1999