This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Crashworthiness of Automotive Stamped Parts Using High Strength Steel Sheets
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 04, 2002 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Forming and strain rate effects on crashworthiness of automotive body components were investigated in this study. Dynamic tensile tests were carried out to establish the stress-strain relationships at elevated strain rates. Dynamic tests of bending and axial crashing at various speeds were conducted using a stamped hat square column. The experimental results indicate that the absorbed energy of the hat square column decreased with the increase of material thinning in case of high strength steels. FEM analyses using material models with both strain rate sensitivity and forming effects were carried out to evaluate the computer prediction accuracy of crashworthiness.
CitationSato, K., Yoshitake, A., Zeng, D., and Liu, S., "Crashworthiness of Automotive Stamped Parts Using High Strength Steel Sheets," SAE Technical Paper 2002-01-0641, 2002, https://doi.org/10.4271/2002-01-0641.
- van Schaik M. Martin D.C. Denner S. “ULSAB Advanced Vehicle Concepts - The Latest Steel Demonstration for Automotive” SAE 2000-01-1545 2000
- Sato K. Yoshitake A, Hosoya Y. Mikami H. “FEM Simulation to Estimate Crashworthiness of Automotive.” SAE Paper 982356 1998
- Kaufman M. Gaines D. Kundrick K. Liu S. “Integration of Chassis Frame Forming Analysis into Performance Models to More Accurately Evaluate Crashworthiness.” SAE Paper 980551 1998
- Magain, P. Lescart, J. C. “An Original Equipment to Measure the Energy Absorbed by a Material at High Impact Speed,” SAE 950378 1995
- Abe, K. Kojima, S. “Dynamic Energy Absorbing Characteristics of High Strength Steel Members,” Subaru Tech. Review No. 14 1986
- Sato K. Yoshitake A. Hosoya Y. Yokoyama T. “A study on improving crashworthiness of automotive parts by using high-strength steel sheets” SAE Paper 980382 1998
- LSTC “LS-DYNA User's Manual Version 950.” Livermore Software Technology Corporation 2000
- FTI “Fast_Form3D User's Manual.” Forming Technology Inc. 2000