This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Development of a Wet-based NDIR and Its Application to On-board Emission Measurement System
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 04, 2002 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Due to a need for a robust measurement system for on-board real-world vehicle emission measurement, a heated ND-IR(h-NDIR) technique has been developed and evaluated for its potential. The h-NDIR is capable of measuring CO and CO2 under wet-based condition by correcting interference from co-existing gas with an algorithm specially developed for the present study. The resulting H2O interference to the CO2 measurement is less than 0.01vol% for zero point and less than ±1% for span points and that of CO measurement is less than 0.001vol% for zero point and less than ±2% for span point against 0 to12vol% H2O.
An on-board emission measurement system using the h-NDIR in combination with an Annubar® flow meter and an air to fuel ratio sensor has been evaluated. The result reveal correlation between the present system and a chassis test system to be within 7% for fuel consumption, within 5% for CO mass emission, and within 6% for CO2 mass emission.
|Technical Paper||The Effect of Engine Misfire on Exhaust Emission Levels in Spark Ignition Engines|
|Ground Vehicle Standard||Application Layer - Diagnostics|
|Ground Vehicle Standard||E/E Diagnostic Test Modes|
CitationNakamura, H., Kihara, N., Adachi, M., and Ishida, K., "Development of a Wet-based NDIR and Its Application to On-board Emission Measurement System," SAE Technical Paper 2002-01-0612, 2002, https://doi.org/10.4271/2002-01-0612.
- Jetter J. et.al. Development of an On-Board Analyzer for Use on Advanced Low Emission Vehicles SAE paper 2000-01-1140
- Truex T. J. et.al. Measurement of Ambient Roadway and Vehicle Exhaust Emission - An Assessment of Instrument Capability and Initial On-Road Test Results with an Advanced Low Emission Vehicle SAE paper 2000-01-1142
- Lenner M. et.al. Influence Of Roof-Rack, Trailer Etc On Automobile Fuel Consumption and Exhaust Emissions, Measured On-The-Road SAE paper 980682
- Inoue K. et.al. Numerical Analysis of Mass Emission Measurement Systems for Low Emission Vehicles SAE paper 1999-01-0150
- Kihara N. et.al. Real-Time On-Board Measurement of Mass Emission of NOx, Fuel consumption, Road Load, and Engine Output for Diesel Vehicles SAE paper 2000-01-1141
- Kihara N. et.al. Real-time On-board Measurement of Mass Emission of NOx Society of Automotive Enginers of Japan No.20005192
- Kihara N. et.al. Real-time On-board Measurement of Mass Emission of NOx, THC and Particulate Matter from Diesel vehicles COMMODIA 2001